¡RP's 250 build!

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Figure I'd start this now. I bought Craigars 250 :). Finishing the stand frame tonight, hopefully getting the first coat of paint on too.

Nothing like running out of wood glue, heading to HD and walking out with a new drill, shhh don't tell the BnC

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol. Can't wait man.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Dang your fast Jamie!!! Excited to see the build as well! Where is the first pics of the raw stand brah?

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
View attachment 9299
View attachment 9300
View attachment 9301

And that's all I took, lol, thought I took more. Stand frame is ready for paint. I left some pieces off to make it lighter to move, will it twist out of it's level glory if I move it without the middle pieces? I left them out so it can be moved easily by 2 people. My plan was to attach them once the stand is inside.

I tried to follow all the tips from the RC thread, like spreading glue on the ends and the 4 screws per joint, to actually make this a solid stand that won't fall over with a slight nudge.

I used the galvanized screws and pre drilled all of them.

I added some additional pieces that the RC plans didn't say I needed. I just don't want 250+ gal of water falling over.

I modified the front supports a bit. I remember someone (Jack?) needing to get a sump under his tank, but the tank was full. So I designed the front legs to be removable. The RC thread claims the 2x6 would be strong enough to support the tank, with some cross members (the ones running the width of the tank), and no middle supports (the vertical ones). I'm doubtful though.

Friday after work I do the paint, I'm using Killz. Hopefully a space heater in the garage and the hour dry time will help with the cold weather.

Anything else you guys can think of that I'm forgetting?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think with an 8' span, to have no middle supports, you actually need a 2x10. I know for my 4' 120 Rocket suggested a 2x6 top box. Then for 6' you do 2x8, and 8' 2x10. Looks good though.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
280g-reefman;195217 said:
I used the 2x6 design for my 125 with middle supports, it will hold a tank.
Thanks

cdrewferd;195237 said:
I think with an 8' span, to have no middle supports, you actually need a 2x10. I know for my 4' 120 Rocket suggested a 2x6 top box. Then for 6' you do 2x8, and 8' 2x10. Looks good though.
Grrr, I hate misreading info. Thanks for pointing it out.

Cherub;195345 said:
did you move or is that 250 going somewhere scary?? weight wise i mean
Somewhere scary!?....I moved since you came up last. I'm having it cross as many floor joists as possible, even though Craigars tank looked rock solid on 2.

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well, here's a quick one. I decided that I didn't like my stand. I'm welding one out of steel instead :)

I'm going to use 1" sch40 pipe, mainly because there's a ton of scrap at work. The new stand will have three vertical supports in front and back, along with probably 3 horizontal ones on top. Still going to wrap in ply wood, I'll just have to use different screws. What do you guys think?

I'm def doing FO, at least until I buy a house.

280g-reefman

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on steel stand. I used 1.5" pipe. A pic of it is in my 280 build thread. I did quite a bit of research and determined for a tank that size it would be perfect and it is. I used por15 to keep it from rusting out, great stuff and affordable.