Adding cured rock question

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've got vat of live rock that I have had sitting for probably a year. Had a heater and powerhead on it the entire time. Been in the dark to prevent any algae growth. Only thing I have done was top up water a few times over the year, a couple of times with fresh mixed SW and a couple times with water straight out of my system (used water? lol).

Anyway, now I want to add some rock to my display. Can I just add rock from my stash? I want to add some height to my rock work so I was thinking primarily of using this new rock as a base and existing stuff on top of that. I have a lot of sump space, should I add it in there first for a few days/weeks to let it get better seasoned to current tank parameters?

Any risks to adding this "cooked" rock all at once, or should I slowly introduce it? Or am I good to go and just add it all in?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Agreed. There will probably be a mini cycle from stirring up sand and changing where optimal flow and dead spots are on the rock so I would be prepared for a 25% water change if that happens. That rock has no nitrifying bacteria on it unless it has been getting a regular and consistent ammonia source.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are worried about what the rock is capable of just pee in it and test ammonia one hour after and 24 hour after. You will see if rock is ready or not. Brahaha just couldn't resist.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Well, I added about 6 large pieces. But now I don't like the aquascape. I feel like I could spend days, weeks, months working that out though....and never get it the way I want it.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Test the vat for phosphates. If they are high, then maybe let the rock soak in a smaller container with some GFO.

I would not disturb too much rock that is touching the sand - you can disrupt the oxic/anoxic areas and cause a mini cycle. Hopefully, it is really mini, but something will die just by definition. I usually just add new rock to the top... it is covered in coralline in a month.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
The pieces I added were on top of base layer of rocks that were in the sand. I don't think I disturbed too much, I guess time will tell. As I keep moving things around I start liking it a little more and a little more.