Plumbing

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Getting ready to gather plumbing parts for new build should I go with flex pvc for return and drain or hard plumb w unions? Is there a advantage to one or the other?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Spaflex is sch 40 pvc, just flexible and more expensive. I used it to plumb my closed loops, as this helps minimize head loss on the closed loops. But I did everything else hard plumbed

flagg37

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
The biggest thing to be careful of with flex is not making bends too tight. If it kinks up on you the best case scenario is that you lose some flow. Worst case is that you pop a connection from the increased pressure. I’ve always hard plumbed the whole thing except for the section going from my return pump. I use about 8” of silicone tubing to quiet down vibration and to allow me to move the pump around. The silicone just goes straight up though since it is more prone to kinking.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
my vote is for hard plumbing and unions (lots) Spa flex is hard to get to bend, and I dont think it looks very good.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Like mentioned above, I used small sections of spa flex near my return pump in an effort to minimize pump vibration and noise. I'd say I have 3ft section going from sump to return pump, then a 5 foot section going from pump toward the display. Where the spa flex ends on the return line it joins rigid pvc and goes to the tank from there.

I found it worked really well at quieting the return and reducing vibrations. I'm a fan. But I don't know that I'd necessarily do the entire thing in spa flex, would be costly and I don't know that the benefit outweighs the effort.