20L w/ 9G Sump, First time saltwater

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Here is a quick update. Hopefully I will have video and pictures to follow.

2 true pecs
1 scooter blenny/dragonet
1 true peppermint shrimp
1 turbo snail
2 Nassarius snails
1 eagle eye polyp
And other critters that came with the cheato which has shrunk to a baseball size.

Things on order:

10 Dwarf Ceriths
3 Nassarius
6 Florida Ceriths
2 Large & 2 Small to Medium Nerites

Plans:

Currently no other plans to add anything unless I add some corals. My wife likes the fire fish too.

Concerns:

The eagle eye has shrunken quite a bit and either I didn't have enough algea in my tank or the flow isn't getting algea to him.

Brown sludge buildup on gravel which makes me think my flow is incorrect.

Cheato getting smaller however it looks more dense. Maybe lighting, or just more time for the tank to catch up.

David

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this, have you done a plumbing test in case of a power outage? Just unplug all your pumps and see where the water fills to in your sump. That way when, not if, the power goes out you won't have an over flow.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes. I unplug it every time I feed and tested it before i added salt water. Works like a charm and the system is running much better since I added the screen over the overflow PVC in the tank even though it is more louder.

However I'm going to remove the PVC overflow for a siphon one for more peace of mind. I like to be able to see if there are bubbles in the tube. I will have a video to show the PVC overflow, address my concerns, and say why I'm replacing it.

David

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just received my order from reef cleaners. I only got the 10g quick crew because I already had a few snails. The package was listed as 10 Dwarf Ceriths, but I think I got 50. The rest of the order arrived with maybe one or two extra snails which is very cool.

I recommend reef cleaners for any cleanup crews.

David

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey, those fish look familiar.
Looking good :)
What coral is in the pic after the xenia pic and before the frogspawn pic?

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yeah the two clowns are doing good and their third stripe is almost done forming. They are getting more black on their fins and hopefully in a few more months the stripes will be done and the black start to darken into thicker bands.

When are getting fish from really good breeders it is hard not to get really good looking fish.

The two bangii's (one hiding behind the orange monti cap) also came from a club member.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ahhh, it must be the orange cap. I saw polyps on the bottom of it but I couldn't see the color. Very cool.
You got a nice looking piece of the Tyree true undata. Wait till that thing colors up, you get purple growth ring and the skin turns darker tan with some green tint to it.

othercents

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think I had my first death in my tank. I can't find my peppermint shrimp anywhere. I looked all around and in between the rocks, in the overflow, in the sump, and behind the tank, but no where to be found. Could have died and been cleaned up by the CUC. When I was looking for him I found a Nerite Snail that had fell behind the tank and was mostly dried out, but survived the ordeal. The peppermint was eating well. Only place I couldn't check was the overflow pipe, but not sure why a shrimp as big as mine was would force himself through a 1" pipe opening that had a foam cover on it.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I can't keep peppermints alive.....that's why I now have a copperbanded butterfly and a bristletail filefish.