220 gallon - DIY project

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I ran an Iwaki 70 as my return full open so I had plenty of flow through the those.

MuralReef;n639696 said:
Let me look back at my 225 build I did years ago to be sure. But I did this exact same thing with a 55 and a 30. I used two 1.5" lines to connect the two low in the tank as Chris suggested. The 55 was first and it housed the skimmer reactors. I didn't have any baffles but would have if I ever ran it like this again. The 30 was second and I had one baffle on the front side and a triple on the back end before the ATO section with the return pump. The 30 was set up as a macro fuge area with sand. I didn't have problems with clogs from the 55 to 30.
I had two bulkheads on each tank and I plumbed them together with true unions.
Unions between tanks .. so slip bulkheads glued into each half of the union? that is awesome !

So as long as I keep the refugium in the second tank , we should be good Agreed? i have found a deal on craigslist for 2 40's hopefully can scoop them up over the next few days .Maybe start plumbing this beast . I only have 2 holes in my overflow box and I want to add another to make a Bean animal overflow .

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
highaltitude;639701 said:
Unions between tanks .. so slip bulkheads glued into each half of the union? that is awesome !
I used threaded but they leaked. Now that I have discovered the Teflon paste though that wouldn't be a problem.

Telfon paste same as thread compound ? I was introduced to thread compound when i was building my basement and plumbing my thermostatic valves in my shower , they came with threaded fitting that i had to sweat cooper into then thread into the valve . Guy at home Depot was an old union plumber and told me about this thread compound that it was a must for anything threaded , and plumbing .

started with the ATO compartment and the filter sock chamber , got creative with a couple of overflow covers i cant seem to get rid of , to i put them to work and incorporated them into my sumps , Also picked up some 1/4 acrylic from depot .

Here is the layout of the first 40 breeder , trying to figure out where to install bulkheads for best flow, but not to much water fall due to it will be flowing into the fuge section in the next tank , Thoughts?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
For the bulkheads I would make a cardboard template with your hole locations. Then tape it into place and use a sharpie to draw your hole locations on the glass. Then remove the template and put it on tank #2 and trace there. That should get the holes to line up correctly.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I would drill for the bulkheads before you silicone in any more baffles. I wasn't very scientific when I drilled the second tank. I just lined them up and used the 1st drilled tank as the guide to score the holes for the second tank.

MuralReef;n640286 said:
I would drill for the bulkheads before you silicone in any more baffles. I wasn't very scientific when I drilled the second tank. I just lined them up and used the 1st drilled tank as the guide to score the holes for the second tank.
my thoughts exactly , that last baffle is just sitting in there , wasnt even sure if i needed it , but i think it is a must to maintain skimmer water height . im going to go to the fish store now , grab 4 of the biggest bulkheads they sell , i have 2- 1 " bulkheads for each tank , for it here , but not sure that will be enough ? might be over thinking this

height wise , i want the bulkheads say half way down from the water line ? We want a nice flow over the refugium in the second tank , but not a waterfall in there right , i am dropping the water height in the second sump from 10 " in the first sump to about 8 " , allowing for a sand bed , and 4 - 6 inches of water

here is an overall rough fit of the whole project , I am OPEN to critic and ideas , last minute changes, all i have left is to drill the holes for the filter socks and bulkheads , a silicone all the baffles in