500ML vodka into tank

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Well a little while ago I noticed my tank was cloudy. When I went to look I saw my dosing container for vodka was empty. I just filled it yesterday and adjusted the controller for one extra minute. Here's the results.

That's after the water change. I have all my posts on high and air stones in the tanks.

My question is I already had moved my purple and tomini they were both floating the rest of the fish are hiding. What is the results of this much carbon dosing? A complete wipe of all my bacteria, and have to re-cycle my tank? Not real sure on the end result except I'm a dumb ass.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I've never dosed that much before, but when I've gone heavy I get stringy snot like goo on the live rocks. I backed off the dose and siphoned it off. I'd expect a bacteria bloom I guess. Sorry this happened!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Run as much carbon as you can. I would fill every reactor that you can find with it. Change more water as soon as you can mix it up. Do you have an extra skimmer than you can put on there?

What will happen is that your bacteria will grow rapidly - mostly waterborne and bacteria near the surface. They might be limited a bit by available nitrate and phosphate, but plenty P can unbind from the aragonite for a near limitless source. The growth can use up all of the oxygen which can kill almost everything. Once a few things start to die from the lack of oxygen (this includes bacteria), then the ammonia comes which starts the nasty cycle of a crash. I hope that it does not get here. f you have any prized stuff, see if you can run the corals to a friends house or another tank.

Not that this helps now, but you should dose this by hand. If you forget for a few days, then no harm is really done...

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Even a water change with dechlorinated tap water (run it through a carbon reactor for a bit) will be better than this. Skip the RO - mix and heat, but make sure that it is completely mixed. This does not have to be perfect to save as much as you can.

Also, look to empty your skimmer cup as much as you can - if it overflows back into the tank, then it is almost like it wasted all of that time that it worked.

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just went thru this. And it wreaked havoc on my tank. Been over a month and still not back to normal. For me it just seemed to kill all my bacteria good and bad.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know you have other tanks so you can likely relocate stuff until you see how it goes, but in a pinch I'm nearby just text me. I have extra carbon if you need it, A jumbo reactor if you can get the pump and some plumbing. A 2 outlet air pump etc.

This is hindsight and not nitpicking just wargaming the problem/solution. Used that doser before? Possibly have different flow rates? When you saw it was empty notice that it was still running? Depending on location and type of doser I suppose it could have also gravity siphoned in?

Until you get really heavy doses, carbon dosing is one I certainly have seen as manually dosed a lot. Can be great results but kinda like a nuclear reactor, can have some catastrophic issues if things go wrong. Not just from overdose but if tank used to heavy doses suddenly missing them.)

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Bring stuff over to me if you need! I also have a reactor you can use if you want!! 970.396.1145

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 50 gallons of RODI available if you need it. Just need buckets or a tank in the back of your truck. Also have some IO reef crystals as well.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have 44 gallons of mixed water ready, a bunch of extra skimmers, probably 100 bags of IO, a handful of reactors with maxijets and thirty or forty pounds of activated carbon if you need any of it.

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
Guys, thanks for the help. And the offer of help, I've always had to struggle through stuff like this, and this is a little over-the-counter. We've done 100 gallons so far and doing 20 right now. I won't be home until around three today and hoping that what's left in is still alive.

This afternoon I will be setting up a brute tank and transferring stuff to that and setting up a cube to help hold the rest of the stuff I have already.

Thank goodness I try to keep extras of stuff.

Again thanks for the offers I might have to take some of you up on them very soon.

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What was the dose of vodka that you were aiming for? Just trying to get a sense for how much was overdosed. Were you aiming for 10 mL? 50 mL? Intend to dose your total over 24 hours?

Sctip

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
TheRealChrisBrown;668740 said:
What was the dose of vodka that you were aiming for? Just trying to get a sense for how much was overdosed. Were you aiming for 10 mL? 50 mL? Intend to dose your total over 24 hours?
I dose 2 ml a day.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk