60 shallow reef

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
good grief! It got down to 55 here last night, and I had fuzzy sheets, a THICK blanket, and a thick comforter on the bed.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;367875 said:
good grief! It got down to 55 here last night, and I had fuzzy sheets, a THICK blanket, and a thick comforter on the bed.
Lol...with the wind chill it was -15 for most of the day. Reminded me of the time I spent as Scott Chase's roommate when the cold would hit the humidity from the 2x300 gallon tanks and form a low cloud of most across the floor.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yikes. That's no joke. Be a cool pic, tho, I bet.

It gets down to 70 here and I put on a hoodie and long pants. I don't know what I'd do at -15.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FinsUp!;367950 said:
It gets down to 70 here and I put on a hoodie and long pants. I don't know what I'd do at -15.
You get used to it, we used to camp just east of Eisenhower tunnel every year February in tents in this kind of weather ;)

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Miah2bzy;368003 said:
You get used to it, we used to camp just east of Eisenhower tunnel every year February in tents in this kind of weather ;)
+1 used to do this a lot too

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So I've been battling this algae/diatoms now for a while and haven't seen much progress until recently:

It looks "bad" still but the plugs were completely covered and I thought I lost close to 20 Zoas. I changed my rw-8 wave makers to wave mode ( they were on random ) and next day saw polyps peeking thru the algae and some regression of the black stuff.
Here's another pic of the other side of the tank:

I'm using rodi water, keeping up with weekly water changes, feeding sparingly every day (small amount of fish food or mysis shrimp) and they eat it all, change filter socks every three days, etc.
I have seen a large bloom of calerp in my refuge:

(I haven't gotten the filter sock changed today yet but will.
Any suggestions on what I'm missing? I have lost 8 small colonies of Zoas now (including my red and blue hornets...boo!) but everything else seems to be stabilizing. I'm thinking of getting rid of the frag rack as this seems to be the home of the algae. I clean off the frags weekly and it's back to what the pic looks like almost overnight.
Light cycle is 4-10 for my t5 420 blue and 5-9 for my 400 watt XM 10k halide. Thinking of upgrading to a 2x250 watt halide system in the next 6 months as well.

Thoughts?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
More refuge pics:

And tank:

Mystic sunset monti

Jack o lantern

Babies breath favia (has tripled in size in 3 months now)

Monti cap (was a small sliver of a drag, has grown nicely).

My forest fire digi:

Seems upset at the moment but usually ok.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ca was 440 today
Kh was 7.7
Dosing 20 ML of 2 part, 10 in the morning and 10 after lights out of each.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
How old are your bulbs?

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
How often are you changing the filters in your RODI and the DI resin?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;368491 said:
How long are your fuge lights running? Any gfo?
I have a bag of carbon/gfo that is under my t return the sump.

Fuge light is a 5k led that's on 24-7. Any less and I have problems with the calerp going sexual and getting into the display.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
opakapaka;368497 said:
How old are your bulbs?
Halide is 9 months. I changed the halide bulb today thinking that it might be time already. The t5 are 9 months as well, when it comes time for them I am probably going to switch to a 2x250 halide system.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;368503 said:
How often are you changing the filters in your RODI and the DI resin?
I change the di resin when the output meter goes from 0 to anything else (only happened once so far) I have not changed the carbon filter, prefilter, or the membranes in the last 6 months.

flyfish

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I went through this a month or so ago and started dosing peroxide,it worked good but I still had some pop up on my zoas.I was able to pull the plugs off the rock and dip the zoas in a higher concentration of peroxide.Between that and turning my lights down I was able to get a hold on it.There are some pretty good right ups on reef 2 reef on peroxide dosing