60 shallow reef

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
60 shallow reef

Rausch;368601 said:
Your Jack O'Lantern is looking great! Where to have that placed in your tank?

Top pic shows full tank shot, my 400 watt is middle right at the top of the photo maybe 18" from surface of water. The Rock on the right is the same spot as the bottom pic, placed maybe halfway up the rock on a shaded ledge. Gets minimal light and low to mid flow.
You can see it in the shadow next o the yellow scroll coral.

Last edited by a moderator:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
New FTS:
Sold some corals (frags of my favorites) which made room for me to remove he frag rack and add 50lbs of pukani I've had cycling in the garage. Going to be adding more montis and Zoas to the rocks and taking that rack out this week.

JodiI

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Where is this tank located in your house? And how do you keep the kids from dropping things in it? I love the look of these tanks, but without a hood my son would have buzz and woody and random crap in it in 3 seconds flat. Teach me your ways

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
60 shallow reef

JodiI;369184 said:
Where is this tank located in your house? And how do you keep the kids from dropping things in it? I love the look of these tanks, but without a hood my son would have buzz and woody and random crap in it in 3 seconds flat. Teach me your ways
It's in a room off the living room we use for an office/school room. The stand is close to 3' tall. I wanted something I could stand and work in without having to reach or bend over. The tank sits high enough that the bottom is just at eye level so maybe 4-4.5' total height. I also elevated the sump underneath and the rodi topoff tank.
The stand doors all come off with swivels and snap on w magnets - no handles so can't pull them off without some effort.
Underneath on either end of the tank are two doorways for the downstairs bathroom w double headers. Only place in the house to set it on the second level without fear of damage.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Made some big changes to the tank today. Sold $300 of Zoa frags to a friend in grand junction last weekend. Prompted me to take out the frag rack I had in there, move some rock around, added corals to rocks that I want to keep, moved my big pieces to the sump, took out a baffle in the sump that was supposed to be used for a skimmer I've never used, fragged a bunch of stuff and added my small rack to the tank to hold them, changed out my halides and t5's, added 2 more power heads on a wavemaker, etc. Still planning on getting rid of more stuff in leu of a forthcoming move back to the front range but made big progress today.
https://vimeo.com/152065382

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Made some big changes to the tank today. Sold $300 of Zoa frags to a friend in grand junction last weekend. Prompted me to take out the frag rack I had in there, move some rock around, added corals to rocks that I want to keep, moved my big pieces to the sump, took out a baffle in the sump that was supposed to be used for a skimmer I've never used, fragged a bunch of stuff and added my small rack to the tank to hold them, changed out my halides and t5's, added 2 more power heads on a wavemaker, etc. Still planning on getting rid of more stuff in leu of a forthcoming move back to the front range but made big progress today.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
New FTS:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
And more:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
5th pic shows the beginning of a zoa garden. Added 9 zoa frags and adding another 5 more tomorrow.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lighting: currently have a 400w XM metal halide and 2x54w geisman actinics. I replaced the halide bulb a week or so ago. I am wanting to change from the actinic to support more growth and color, I'm also not a fan of just the blues when they come on.
I'm planning on switching the light cycle to come on at 5 with the t5 for viewing and then the halides on at 10 with the t5 off.

Thinking a 14k look for the t5, maybe 2x54w ATI coral plus?

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Traded corals today for two brs dosing pumps and these:

God of war, hydnophora, fire and ice, mixed zoas, a new monti, and others.

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Balz3352;638399 said:
Gotta love gows.... Man I miss mine
Just picked those up, had some that got zoa pox last year and wiped out my colony. Glad to have it back :)

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Metallic green flower pot gonipora:

Montipora spongode green w brown polyps:

Blue sympodium:

Hydnophora:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Bbeb:

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So after much deliberation we are moving at the end of March back to the front range - south Loveland - for various reasons too numerous to list here.
I'll be moving the tank inhabitants to a 55 at my moms place while we take care of her for a few months, planning on keeping the same 400w + 2x48" t5 actinics, reef keeper, ato, brs dosing pumps, etc. with the main tank. Keeping my 30L as an overflow tank for anything that doesn't fit in the 55. I've already sold off all equipment, corals, and fish that I won't be taking back with me to a friend who is setting up a biocube near us and to other reefers in grand junction.
Here's my timeline:
Weekend before Easter - moving all tank inhabitants in 20 gallon storage tubs (I've got some nice sized monti colonies I want to keep from breaking if I can that are attached to rocks). Setting up the 55 w the same equipment and using all tank water in the transfer. Going to setup my 20L as my macro tank w a small led shop light, pump, heater. Setting up my 30L as my zoa grow garden. Coming back for a week to finish packing and then moving officially Easter weekend. Once things settle down planning on setting up a bigger tank and something more permanent.
Here's a list of what I'm keeping from the last year/what hasn't died:
Fish - bicolor angelfish, Picasso clown, mocha clown, percula clown, 2 yellow tail damsels, blue devil damsel, 6-line wrasse.
Corals: purple/orange/forest fire monti digi, peach/red/Idaho grape/green/green w blue polyps/green w red polyps monti caps, hydnophora, yellow scroll, pink/green birdsnest, babies breath favia, jack o lantern, orange passomocora, rainbow acan, strawberry lemonade acro, gsp, cats paw, blue sympodium, monti spongode, flower pot, my encrusting montis, Zoas (32+ varieties).

Miah2bzy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
FTS before moving: