1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

90 gallon slow and steady build

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by neil82, Mar 27, 2018.

1. neil82

neil82 Cuttle Fish M.A.S.C Club Member

Going backward in time real quick to post pics taken on 1/20/19 right before changing from LED to MH/t5.
    IMG_20190120_115256-1600x1200.jpg IMG_20190120_115443-1600x1200.jpg IMG_20190120_115458-1600x1200.jpg IMG_20190120_115429-1600x1200.jpg

2. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Great discussion here! Keep us posted on the development for sure! I run three halides over my tank and have for years... decades with little change on the lighting. Recently I’ve gone to running them for 4 hours and then led supplements for 12 hours. I run them longer in the winter to help keep the tank temp up rather than paying for heaters to run. Those aqua medic lights were solid!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

neil82 and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  3. neil82

Thanks for following along! I like the idea of running the lights more in winter and less in summer. I was surprised to find out that Aqua Medic still sells replacement parts for the fixture I picked up. Pretty cool!

4. neil82

Still working toward goal of getting a clam. Now that I have the metal halide lights I am hoping to go with a maxima because I love the electric blue color. Water params have been stable since starting two part dosing. I'll run water tests again tonight and post results.
    One concern I have is related to substrate. I have fine sugar sand and between the clownfish and the watchman goby, there is constantly grains of sand in the water column. I'm thinking that will be an issue for a clam. I've considered adding a layer of larger grain substrate. I don't want to remove any fish.
    Suggestions about dealing with subrate and feedback about adding a clam? Thanks in advance.

5. zombie

zombie Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

I had a similar issue with substrate and I just added a bag of medium grain aragonite over the top. Didn't cause a mini cycle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using MASC mobile app

6. neil82

I think this is what I'll need to do.

7. neil82

7.6 Alk
    420 Ca
    1320 mg
    .05 phos