A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Awesome. What’s the pink frag in the center? The new tank looks great. Thanks for dropping off fliers too!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
You have amazing self control. I wouldn't make it half way into a Coors before I'd get the itch to fire up that other frag tank. I agree about the GSP. Heck, I'm a sucker for pulsing xenia too. Nice work as always on the build!
Thanks Neil but if I had self control, my coral QT wouldn’t have so many frags. It’s just not worth bringing the other tank online when my display is as naked as it is. Not that much to frag.

I’m pretty happy with one colony of GSP I picked up today. One is turning out to be an awesome vivid green. The other looked way better in the store. I like the Xenia to, but too afraid of what it might do in my display.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Awesome. What’s the pink frag in the center? The new tank looks great. Thanks for dropping off fliers too!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado
The pink coral is actually more “grape” or purple colored in person. iPhone photos taken through my UV blocking sunglasses get it closer to the real thing but not enough.

I was told it is a “Cookie Monster”. I hate trade names. I just like coral that’s beautiful and that one will be a nice piece if I can preserve the color in my display!

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
First thing this morning I pulled out the generator, topped it off, and did a test run. Was hoping I wouldn’t need it. We’ve never lost power since moving in 4 years ago.

Guess what happened 30 minutes ago?

I’m going to give it an hour and watch tank temps. Unfortunately will be heading out to fire up the gen and run lines to a few pumps and a heater.

We’ll see if my neighbors complain. HOA says they’re not allowed. I think I’ll tell them to call the Sheriffs office and have me arrested.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
We have a no-genny rule too, but it is only for when the grid is working... no generators to run day-to-day things. Power outage and construction are OK. You can even install a standby behind your home, but it needs approval. Be safe and observe your safety setbacks.

I just tested mine out and the carb needed rebuilt. This pretty much ensures that we will not lose power since I got it working.

Good luck.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Thanks JDA. I’ll have to look into that detail about having a standby. Sure would be a lot nicer. Although a standby wired to a transfer switch might be more than the wife is willing to go along with.

I’m definitely picking up a Honda soon. This one is too loud. Bigger unit at half the noise.

It’s nice being self employed on a day like this. My boss still has me working in the shop with a headlamp but I’m free to check on things. Evidently picking up tools and cleaning is still on the agenda today. I need some union representation.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Usually, just making sure that they are running is enough to stave off a power outage. :) I just have a couple of nice portables, but even the larger Hondas are loud. Those little Hondas that they use outside of food trucks are really quiet and nice, but they would not even power my tank heaters and return pumps. If I want to run any other stuff, then 7500 is a small as I can go. Both of mine have Briggs engines, so if I forget to run the dry (nearly always), then they need a 5 minute rebuild and cleaning.

I just lean a sheet of OSB up against the side of the generator that faces the neighboring homes and the snow muffles almost all of the sound. Don't have to worry about engines overheating when it is 20 degrees outside. :(

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I’m looking online at the 3k Honda generators. I’m assuming those are the ones you’re referring to being quiet? (55-65 dB)

I’m a little confused how a 3k unit (or 1800 watt in my case) couldn’t handle a 250 watt heater and a two 1.5 amp returns? I know that heating elements draw a lot of current in general and that there’s probably a spike at startup. But that still shouldn’t exceed the capacity of the generator.

I’ll have to look into the 7k unit to see the db rating.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes those are quiet, very nice and super reliable - professional quality. I use 8 300w heaters for my tanks. I imagined that your large tank was using a bunch of heaters too. When we had multiple day outages, I had to run the lights too... about 2000w there. Add in some fridges, freezers and the squirrel cage and thermostat for the home heater, and one of those 3000w Honda would not do it for me.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Might I reccomend the predator generator at harbor freight. It is on sale right now. I also have two hondas and the harbor freight one is just as good. I think the 3500 ome is like 649 right now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Ah. I understand. With my back filtration room sealed up and insulated, I get away with very little in the way of heaters. It’s a constant 77 degrees. However, the fish and coral QT’s both have their own heaters not plugged in right now. I’m hopeful I don’t loose the coral I picked up last weekend.

So, the math does make sense kind of. My current generator doesn’t add up but I’m hopeful a Honda will work as advertised.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can count on the Honda. The cheaper ones work just as well in shorter cycles. They will not run all day, every day like a Honda or pro-quality one will, but you might not need them to. A Harbor Freight generator might run a 5-6 months when being used every day, instead of a couple of years. For a week or two every few years, they are probably fine.

You can rotate the heaters and be Ok. I have had my reef get down to 70 and be fine in the end... I did not do this on purpose, which is why I bought a larger generator so that I did not have to rotate the heaters anymore.

We have not had a power outage more than 1 minute since I moved to Colorado. Unfortunately all of my experience was in the midwest where ice storms and tornados would take us out for weeks. We were out for almost a month once in a relatively populated area. You almost cry a tear of joy when you see a line crew from Louisiana driving into your neighborhood after three weeks of hauling gasoline and hoping that your generator does not throw a rod.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Good news. Power came back on.....long enough for me to figure out my skimmer circulation pump is toast.....

Long enough for me to take down the generator. I left it running knowing the power might not last.

Guess what happened then?

I need an adult beverage. Sitting in the dark with my headlamp not wanting to drag out the genny again.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can count on the Honda. The cheaper ones work just as well in shorter cycles. They will not run all day, every day like a Honda or pro-quality one will, but you might not need them to. A Harbor Freight generator might run a 5-6 months when being used every day, instead of a couple of years. For a week or two every few years, they are probably fine.

You can rotate the heaters and be Ok. I have had my reef get down to 70 and be fine in the end... I did not do this on purpose, which is why I bought a larger generator so that I did not have to rotate the heaters anymore.

We have not had a power outage more than 1 minute since I moved to Colorado. Unfortunately all of my experience was in the midwest where ice storms and tornados would take us out for weeks. We were out for almost a month once in a relatively populated area. You almost cry a tear of joy when you see a line crew from Louisiana driving into your neighborhood after three weeks of hauling gasoline and hoping that your generator does not throw a rod.
Buy the extended warranty. I run my cheapo vs the Honda a lot for my camper because the cheapo runs the ac. Same sound level and can hardly tell the difference when they run side by side.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I have two of the WEN generators for my camper and handy for emergency's like today. :eek: I know there not a Honda, but so far my generators seem to be working fine so far (knock on wood) and I had them for about two years.

Anyways hopefully you get your skimmer problems worked out.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I have two of the WEN generators for my camper and handy for emergency's like today. :eek: I know there not a Honda, but so far my generators seem to be working fine so far (knock on wood) and I had them for about two years.

Anyways hopefully you get your skimmer problems worked out.
I am a little fixated on the Honda’s because they’re notoriously quiet. I like the idea of being able to run them through the night if needed and not get into an HOA civil war.

I did end up swapping heaters around yesterday to keep the various tanks at temp. All worked out well. Power finally came back on for good at 7:30.

Skimmer circulation pump appears to be toast for good. I tore it apart today and can’t find evidence of anything wrong. Spins freely. Getting voltage. Capacitor might be bad but I spun it with the power on which usually bypasses the capacitor issue. I’ll be shopping for a new one tomorrow.

Yeah Honda's as far as I know are the quietest. Mine are a little more noisy compared to a Honda, but not too bad.

Anyways sorry about your pump. Do you have to get a whole new skimmer or do they have replacements?

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
So, Cris at AA is ordering a replacement skimmer circulation pump for me. Can’t say enough about supporting local stores! They’re here when we need them. Try to support them so they can support us. Hopefully will have that in soon.

Until then I’m running extra air stones in the sump just to make sure I am getting oxygen from more than just water movement.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
View attachment 14323

View attachment 14324

View attachment 14325

View attachment 14326

Any guesses what I’m working on?

I really wish I had a laser etcher, and a CNC, and a 3D printer, and a less amateur way to manufacture PCB. Lots of wishes. Anyway, while it’s not turning out as pretty as I’d like, it’s going to do the job.

Software is done. A little to clean up on the display and calibrate once the fluid tape is installed. Hardware is prepped. I just need to install everything. That’s phase 1. Phase 2 will be similar and they’ll talk to each other. They’ll also all talk to the Apex. I’ll have to post a video to show it all working when complete.