A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

I wonder if maybe your generator isn't powering as much as it should because of the altitude. On the two generators I have I didn't realize there was an high altitude kit for the carburetor. Which I have still to put in. lol. It sounded like the motor wouldn't have as much HP otherwise. Wonder if they have something like that for your model.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Christensen - I’ll send you a PM

Thanks for the input GeekE. That’s possible but I officially ordered a Honda 4K unit yesterday. Should have it within 2 weeks.

Still more adult things to do so far today. Been up since 4:30 doing responsible things. Hoping to finally get back to the aquarium late morning.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Here’s a peak inside the other electronics cabinet. That’s where I’m trying to centralize all of the controls. Kind of my “mission control center”.

I prepped one panel for the three displays that will show water levels for three different tanks.

View attachment 14368

View attachment 14369

I pulled out some old Apex gear and the first of the three now interfaces with it.

Digital inputs to Apex are relay contact closures from my DIY controller to the Apex Module.
-high level in 150g FW (RODI) tank
-low level in FW tank

Digital outputs from Apex are a relay contact closure wired off of 120VAC outlet. Relay is the energized and the normally open contact is closed. My DIY controller is waiting for the command. I’ll be adding some other digital outputs for other controls.
-turn on pump to fill the FWTO tank.

Communicating between the systems is fairly simple and they’re all isolated electronically. I don’t have to worry about voltage differences because the relays isolate one system from another. (Like an electronic prophylactic)

Other digital control signals are also there that will be put in place once the next controller/monitor for the FWTO tank is complete tying them together.

Lastly, the third one will go on my saltwater mixing vat. I will wire in a remote control so that I can turn on/off the pump from across the room or change the flow rate. I bought DC controllable pumps with an external DC input (0-10v) for that reason.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
This build just keeps getting crazier. Awesome stuff man!
Thanks!

Wait until the grand finale! I’m still thinking about the camera system mounted to the aluminum ladder tray in my ceiling. Mounted to a track running the length of the room. Rotate, pan, tilt. Move anywhere in the room you want and view/control remotely. You’ll all be able to spy on me and tour the room from your couch.

That’s when I’m not in here half naked and elbows deep in a problem. I’ll have a kill switch to protect the innocence of the viewers. That’s the big goal if I can make time for it.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Front tank shot or are you waiting till the meeting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I will try to get the camera out soon and take some updated shots. Was working all day today and I’m scrambling to make progress on a job before a scheduled all-day power outage on Thursday. Continuing the solar panel install (nightmare). The new generator is going to get a workout.

I’ve got quite a few fish and coral in QT right now. Should show some updates there.

I also need to get a big new Tort mounted in the new home. (Thanks Mike!!!)

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Also, there has been repeated lack of communication within the solar company. At each successive step, they ignore where I requested equipment be mounted. I covered this and confirmed at the initial site survey. There’s a reason I don’t want equipment mounted where they want to mount it. I’m building a garden shed there this summer.

The engineer didn’t get the message and located equipment in the wrong spot. I corrected this with him and verified feasibility before allowing them to proceed.

Site techs showed up and mounted stuff in the wrong spot anyway. They admitted that they ignored the site plans. I corrected things again with the company. They have yet to fix the problem.

So, to try to avoid further miscommunication, I did a little wall art. Do you think they’ll get the message? Me either. Pretty sure I’ll be kicking them off my property before the end of the day.

View attachment 15034

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
That sucks that there’s such disorganization. Are you planning on putting the shed right up against the house?
Yeah. HOA regulations say NO SHEDS. However they can’t stop me from an attached addition that functions as a shed.

Everything’s on generator now. Going well just minimal pumps and heaters. I don’t think I’ll need those today. If anything, I’ll be wishing for a chiller. Guess I can run and get some ice if needed. Probably won’t. Everything is in the cool basement.

Also, I installed a UPS on my networking gear and another on my Apex head. I didn’t think I had the power outage alarm set up correctly yet. That was the whole goal. But, it worked! Good to know I’ll still get some notification in the future.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Successfully transition back to main utility.

Really wish I had the time to build my own transfer switch. It would be a manual operation but way easier than running cords and all that when power goes out. Couple dedicated ports outside to the generator running to a switch box on the wall inside. Just flip some switches to transfer specified appliances from utility to generator.

Fun project but not worth the time and money at this point.

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Glad the power outage went well. Good to test things.
Last time we had a power outage I found out the hard way that the battery in my backup was completely dead.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado