A Golden Reef Tank (v2)

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
A few updated pics. The Aussie corals are settling in. Most are coloring up well. I still might have to move a few.

I need to prune the PC Rainbow. It’s growing out of control. Going to pull some for the Spring DBTC.

Pics taken with MH off and using my sunglasses as a filter.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
No matter how well the coral is doing, all I see is the bare rock behind. Must be some sort of syndrome...

Who decided to put in this deep tank? Having trouble balancing the deeper water, light penetration, and proper coral placement.

On a separate topic, I finally re-homed the crab if you were following that drama. It has a new home at the Butterfly Pavilion. I need to visit in Jan. Should be out of QT and terrorizing the other decapods by then.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I to have problems with depth and lighting. What reflectors are you using?
What is your par on the sand?
Personally its about to drive me nuts as well hence why I put hamilton 10k bulbs on. Much better par but the color is going to drive me nuts.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I believe it's 36" deep
How deep is your tank again? I’m deciding between 24” and 27”.

Do you know which tank the crab will go into?
Looking great Jacob. It's really filling in well and colors look great

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I to have problems with depth and lighting. What reflectors are you using?
What is your par on the sand?
Personally its about to drive me nuts as well hence why I put hamilton 10k bulbs on. Much better par but the color is going to drive me nuts.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I’m using the smallest Hamilton fixtures on the market. So, they probably don’t have the best spread possible. I’m using 14k Phoenix bulbs.

I’ll get out the PAR meter later today and see where I’m at.

In reality, I can’t complain. I have some euphillia doing OK down on the bed. Over time, I might introduce some more live rock on the bottom as a base for LPS. That was the long term plan to have LPS lower anyway.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
How deep is your tank again? I’m deciding between 24” and 27”.

Do you know which tank the crab will go into?
I would recommend 27” over 24” if it’s an option. That’s still a reasonable depth to work in easily and you shouldn’t notice any real difference in lighting with only 3”. I still like deeper tanks. I like the aquascaping potential and the visual impact.

SynDen is correct. It’s about 36” deep.

I’m not sure what tank the crab will go in. I haven’t been there in a while other than dropping off the delinquent decapod. I think they have a tank dedicated to just crustaceans.

Last edited by a moderator:

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I believe it's 36" deep

Looking great Jacob. It's really filling in well and colors look great

Sent from my Nexus 6 using MASC mobile app
Thanks! Reds do great in my tank. I’ve been trying to focus more on green and blue coral. I have a few Cali and Oregon torts that are finally showing good signs of growth. So, I’m headed in the right direction.

It's been a while since I've seen people using metal halides. It's good to know they're still in use, I loved my 250W lumenarcs with DE 10K and blue T5s (on a 180 gallon).
If you're curious about bulb/ballast/reflector combinations I would check out all of Dr. Sanjay Joshi's work.
Articles: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/search?Subject:list=Sanjay Joshi

His lighting guide which allows you to pick from multiple combinations of bulbs/ballasts/reflectors:
https://reefs.com/lighting/

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
It's been a while since I've seen people using metal halides. It's good to know they're still in use, I loved my 250W lumenarcs with DE 10K and blue T5s (on a 180 gallon).
If you're curious about bulb/ballast/reflector combinations I would check out all of Dr. Sanjay Joshi's work.
Articles: https://www.advancedaquarist.com/search?Subject:list=Sanjay Joshi

His lighting guide which allows you to pick from multiple combinations of bulbs/ballasts/reflectors:
https://reefs.com/lighting/
Thanks for the links. I’ve always liked Dr Joshi’s approach to things.

I started with 4x Radion G4’s but couldn’t make them work. Not to bash the lights, I’ve seen successful SPS tanks with them. I just couldn’t make them work for me.

Looking good your getting really good growth I got those G4’s from you and they been growing coral pretty good on my tank but it’s only 27 inch deep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk