Acro Eating Flat Worms

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Have you seen the 6-line going after any weakened, dead or alive flatworms? Any chance that the wrasse(s) might keep these at bay if some survived? ...or more poignantly, take care of any that might want to come in again?

Sorry for your losses. Marsh actually has a member thats working on a treatment for AEFW. Apparently the first round of testing went very well. She has a couple WTB AEFW infested acros adds. Shes not telling a lot of details but she is working with one of the LFS and 3CC seems pretty positive about her results.
Her words:
"I'm also working on a different dip right now...it kills AEFW eggs. Still running a few tests, but I'm really excited about it so far. All thanks to 3CC letting me foster the affected acros
I want to see if it will also kill adult AEFW, but I can't find any to test it on LOL. Guess I cleaned the corals too well the first time around."

"Ah, yeah, believe it or not I'm waiting for more AEFW eggs...LOL! Even though my first round of tests clearly killed the larvae in the eggs, I want to run a second trial.

I have to admit, it was quite satisfying to watch the little...things...die, through my microscope..."

http://www.marsh-reef.org/3cc/38318-always-dip-2.html
http://www.marsh-reef.org/marine-reef-general-discussion/38898-wanted-aefw.html
http://www.marsh-reef.org/want-buy-wtb/39003-wanted-ugly-unwanted-acros.html

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Someday for sure they will find an in-tank treatment. For now, I have one more treatment to go and happily have neither seen eggs after the second treatment, nor AEFWs since after the first treatment. I think the eggs got past my first inspection. It's easy to see why when you realize the eggs can be in the divots where branches come off the main stalk. If you look at all the pics online, they show how clumped and together egg batches are. Don't be fooled, now that several of the dead coral stalks are dried and white, it's easy to see the eggs in every nook and cranny. It's also easy to see how a tooth brush or other scraping may miss a few. And a few eggs turn into a lot of parasites. You clearly see all the eggs up the seam, but I circled others that were not easily seen. The covering the area with super glue is good, but can get out of hand depending on how many eggs you're talking about.

For all the frag plugs and rocks that were attached, for what it's worth, I never saw eggs off the actual coral. That's good news I think, but still not saying 100% AEFW's don't lay eggs elsewhere. I just didn't see any.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
TODAY WAS THE LAST TREATMENT!!!!!!!!!

Now it's a waiting game..... ohhhh please let those little suckers be gone...... please.....

The last 8 weeks reminded me of how when we all first start off, we can't keep our hands out of the tank. Always fiddling and moving things. I just got my share of that... looking forward to not touching anything for awhile.

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
DyM;257851 said:
TODAY WAS THE LAST TREATMENT!!!!!!!!!

Now it's a waiting game..... ohhhh please let those little suckers be gone...... please.....

The last 8 weeks reminded me of how when we all first start off, we can't keep our hands out of the tank. Always fiddling and moving things. I just got my share of that... looking forward to not touching anything for awhile.
I know that feeling for sure! Thanks for the awesome updates on this situation. Got my fingers crossed that you've seen the last of these pests.

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
OK, 3 weeks after my last treatment, here's a report. I took all the acro's and dipped them again within the last hour, except this time with Coral RX at 1.5X strength....... and NO AEFW at all. phew..... The Coral RX is clear, where the Bayer in the treatment is milky and although adults are large, they can get quite small - I didn't want to miss any if they were there. I scrutinized the dip bucket, and also the first rinse container. Can't tell you how relieved I am. Next week I'll mount all my acro's back in their place.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
:bravo:Congrats Dave I'm happy to hear of this and excited for you to be able to get your tank finally back to its normal glory!!!!

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ok, I checked all my acros last night and the coast is still clear. Afterwards, I glued/epoxied all acros back to their new homes. Got a new camera last week, too (mentioned earlier how I dropped old one into the tank.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
I drop mine in the tank all the time of course it is waterproof so that helps

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well it's my turn!! Sucks ballz! I bought some coral that was already dipped once upon arrival and dipped again before going into my system. Turns out there must have been some eggs on the coral!! Man i dont know

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
Brother, I feel for you. It was by far the worse setback and challenge faced. Dipping large colonies was hard, tedious, with a lot of loses. In hind sight, I considered this a reboot phase. Good luck, feel free to ask any questions. On RC there was someone experimenting with an intank treatment, but it didn't pan out.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Haddonisreef;345037 said:
Well it's my turn!! Sucks ballz! I bought some coral that was already dipped once upon arrival and dipped again before going into my system. Turns out there must have been some eggs on the coral!! Man i dont know
You can try Salifert Flatworm Exit and/or interceptor spectrum. Both of them have very high sucess rates of killing flatworms and interceptor spectrum will also kill red bugs if you have them too. Both methods can be treated in tank without removing fish (shrimp need to be removed for interceptor). You could dip highly infested colonies in Coral Rx, and use theother two treatments to get stragglers.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;345058 said:
You can try Salifert Flatworm Exit and/or interceptor spectrum. Both of them have very high sucess rates of killing flatworms and interceptor spectrum will also kill red bugs if you have them too. Both methods can be treated in tank without removing fish (shrimp need to be removed for interceptor). You could dip highly infested colonies in Coral Rx, and use theother two treatments to get stragglers.
Yah neither of those work for across eating flatworms.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ummm... the AEFW will just laugh at Flatworm Exit. Even though it is levamisole based, it needs to be like many, many times more powerful.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;345060 said:
Ummm... the AEFW will just laugh at Flatworm Exit. Even though it is levamisole based, it needs to be like many, many times more powerful.
I never tried it on AEFW personally, just on nuisance flatworms. I used the recommended dose twice (one week apart) and have never seen a flatworm since. I didnt think AEFW were that much more resiliant.