Acro grow i

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Official Acropora Growout Contest Thread

Rules:
To enter, a contestant must post a picture of their fragment of coral with a piece of paper with MASC, their MASC username, the current date, and a ruler for initial size. The contestant must also in the same post must put their tank size, lighting, and estimate for total growth for a 3 month and 6 month period.
TLDR Rules:
  • picture with MASC, username, date, and ruler for measurement
  • lighting and tank size in post
  • 3 mo and 6 mo growth estimates

Price: $15

Price breakdown per entry (How the money is being distributed):
  • Cost of frag: $6 (Overflow past the cost of the colony will be split evenly between MASC and the pot)
  • Donation to MASC: $2
  • Into the prize pot: $7

Total Cash Collected: $150 $60 paypal $90 cash
Donation to MASC: $20 (donation sent to masc paypal
)
Prize Pot total: $80

Contest Paypal:
mascgrowoutcontest@gmail.com

Prizes for winning:
Total Growth: $40
Best Overall Estimator:$40 (difference in growth estimates added together. )
(
Example: 3 mo estimate: 2in actual growth: 2.5in 6 mo estimate: 8 in actual growth 6 in difference would be .5in + 2in for a total of 2.5)
Best Estimate 3 Mo.: ORA Blue Voodoo, ORA Purple Stylo
Best Estimate 6 Mo.: ORA Green Planet and ORA Red Planet frags
Best Color Up: ORA Hawkens
Club Choice Best in Show: ORA German Blue Digitatta, ORA Tri-Color Valida, ORA Pearlberry

(These frags will be cut to the same size and racing the grow out coral)

Coral: A. Solitaryensis This thing has blue polyps which makes me think there is much more to this acro.

Important Dates:
Pick up: ReefEd May 16th
Entry Post: The week of May 16th to May 23rd
1 Month Post: June 16th-June 23rd
2 Month Post: July 16th-July 23rd
3 Month Post: Aug 16th to Aug 23rd
4 Month Post: Sept 16th to Sept 23rd
5 Month Post: Oct 16th to Oct 23rd
6 Month Post: Nov 16th to Nov 23rd
Judging: Nov 24th to 29th

Judging categories: Total Growth, Closest to meeting total growth estimate for both timeframes, and best color.

Contestants:
1: SethSolomon (Paid and entered)
2:
quillin35 (paid, picked up, and entered)
3:
Maddog (paid. Picked up, entered)
4: TheRealChrisBrown (Paid, picked up, entered)
5:
Oceanbear1 (Not Paid)
6: BrianH (Paid, picked up, entered)
7: Dr.Harlemtutu (paid and picked up, entered)
8:
neil82 (paid,Picked up, entered)
9: high plains reefer (paid, picked up, entered)
10: quillins friend 2 (paid and picked up, entered)
11: Fiji (paid, chad pickup, entered)
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:

Prize Pictures:

Labels:
Back row: ORA Green Planet, ORA Blue Voodoo, ORA Pearlberry
Second back: ORA Hawkins
Middle: ORA Red Planet, ORA Purple Style
Second front: ORA Tri-color Valida
Front: ORA German Blue Digitata

Measurement posts:

You need to post 2 pictures. One of the length and one of the width. These must be taken on top of a piece of paper with your username, MASC, and date.

EX:

Coloration post:

You need to post a picture of the coral that you think makes it look best. The lighting conditions must be consistent across all coloration pictures IE: first post actinics then all coloration pictures need to be actinic. If the first post is under whites then the rest need to be under whites. No need for logo and username for this picture.

Last edited by a moderator:

Munch

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'd suggest monthly photos for contestants...

Looking forward to the contest :)

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
quillin35;350165 said:
I am in for reefed one..
my buddy is in too he is coming to reefed with me..
so that's 2

Let me know when he signs up on here so I can update it with his username.

ReeferMatt

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
A. Solitaryensis - "Branches grow horizontally and fuse together forming a solid plate in the center of the colony with new growth remaining separated. As the colony ages, it grows into multiple layers of horizontal plates. This Acropora is extremely slow growing." I got this info from a different looking color variation, but this could be a snoozer for a grow out.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ReeferMatt;350173 said:
A. Solitaryensis - "Branches grow horizontally and fuse together forming a solid plate in the center of the colony with new growth remaining separated. As the colony ages, it grows into multiple layers of horizontal plates. This Acropora is extremely slow growing." I got this info from a different looking color variation, but this could be a snoozer for a grow out.

It might be it might not be. Who knows. Every coral is different and reacts differently under different conditions. But my bet is it will be a fairly fast grower :p

From BeyondReef: http://www.beyondreef.com/index.php/coral/sps-corals/acropora-solitaryensis.html
The Acropora solitaryensis does best in good water quality, moderate to strong, intermittent water flow and moderate lighting. For good growth rate and overall health, a high pH, alkalinity, and calcium level must be maintained with little to no phosphates and nitrates. If ideal conditions are provided, the solitaryensis will grow at a moderate rate and can be propagated by cutting fragments.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-58409.html

BrianH

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I just ordered a new set of Sylvania long-life 60w incandescent bulbs from Bulk Reef Supply for the contest!! :crazytown: Soft whites in the house!! :lostit:

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm in but not going to reefed. Scott or Chad if you are participating can you pick up for me?