Advice about amphipods

I want to start with what I know(or think i know)... if any of this is wrong please correct me.
Amphipods are the big ones, like 2-3mm and visible to the naked eye without squiniting too hard. Mandarin's don't eat amphipods, they eat copepods (the little tiny ones).
So I was looking over my tank and while I was admiring my zoa colony when a couple of polyps kept closing then opening, when i looked harder i saw quite a few amphipods crawling on the rock they are attached to and the stalks of the polyps knocking them around. This makes my zoas mad, and thus me mad as well. I was wondering if anyone has had this experience and if they will at all harm my zoas.
Also, is there a fish or invert or something that will eat these things that wont eat my coral?
Thanks for the help!

Advice about amphipods

My melanurus wrasse eats just about any kind of pod I can throw at it lol... I don't know honestly if that is typical behavior but could be something to look into...

I am considering the melanurus wrasse, the only thing i am concerned about is my wife loves the featherdusters in my tank so i would like to find a way that doesn't involve them getting eaten as well. anyone else have any ideas?

Advice about amphipods

I have a big feather duster in my tank and have gotten lucky with him not picking at it at all... He will eat flake, brine, Mysis, and of course the pods... Didn't have to train him really but might help to, while in quarantine, feed the flake and whatnot though to maybe get him used to it... Just a suggestion though, I might have just gotten lucky honestly.. May be a risk you don't want to take

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
H2O_intolerant;222473 said:
I could be wrong but, don't most fish eat amphipods?

http://www.bing.com/search?q=what+eats+amphipods
All my fish go crazy when I clean my sponge, I always get several out and throw them in the display. It's like candy to them. Even my barrettes eats them. They fight over em it's funny. Usually my wrasse's get em though.

Advice about amphipods

H2O_intolerant;222473 said:
I could be wrong but, don't most fish eat amphipods?
I think most will but some are more prone to it. My wrasse and my scooter blenny I think are the only ones in my tank (that I have seen) actively seek out pods. I have tangs, fire fish, gobies, damsel, chromis, and clowns that won't go for them unless they are incredibly readily available (IE dropping them directly into display like food)...

This is just what happens in my tank though I guess... Can't really speak to what is typical of other fishes behavior.