After alk issue

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well several months ago some of you know my dose pump dumped a ton of alk in the tank this was 5 months ago or so things still never fully recovered. Levels are perfect and things still don't get happy like they used to. The only thing left to consider would be my sand any thoughts if that could be an issue? It's not clumped from the areas I can get to. I have had a cucumber in the tank for along time and he's sifted through just about all the sand.

I'm at a loss at this point and about ready to break the tank down. I've checked everything I've gone bigger skimmers more flow. Lights haven't changed in over a year. LEDs and 2 t5 I change t5's every 8 months.

Levels
Alk 8.0
Nitrates 10
Cal 450
Mag 1300
Ph day 8.2 night 8.0
Po4 .06

I've lost all mushrooms, all euphilia, zoas have melted, candies died, birdsnest, pocilipora is now half dead. Seems like things go in spirts. A month will go by and everything is fine and than all of a sudden I loose a few things. I've put a few new pieces like hammers and frogs and they are great but existing things just continue to die off.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I'm still having trouble with the touchy stuff after my alk issues and mine were no where near as bad as yours so I'm watching intently.

FYI I am still getting STN on all my touchy sticks still but that is it, my alk issues were crazy swings during the day

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm wondering if your lights are too much, with the larger skimmer pulling more stuff and making your water clearer. Have you checked your par? Or maybe your temp is off somehow? Stray electrical current (thinking it's could be a tiny little one that only your corals would notice)? I'm sorry you're dealing with this stuff. I know it's frustrating.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CindyL;253448 said:
I'm wondering if your lights are too much, with the larger skimmer pulling more stuff and making your water clearer. Have you checked your par? Or maybe your temp is off somehow? Stray electrical current (thinking it's could be a tiny little one that only your corals would notice)? I'm sorry you're dealing with this stuff. I know it's frustrating.
Yea checked par when I had the meter recently and everything was spot on, I do water changes every 2 weeks so I doubt it's to clean since nitrates and po4 are at 10 and .06-.08 since its all softies I don't keep it any lower. Possibility of stray electricity I've never been shocked when I put my hands in the water. It's all newer equip that doesn't mean anything though.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
rings343;253447 said:
I'm still having trouble with the touchy stuff after my alk issues and mine were no where near as bad as yours so I'm watching intently.

FYI I am still getting STN on all my touchy sticks still but that is it, my alk issues were crazy swings during the day
Yea I'm glad it wasn't my sps tank that's why I have 2 haha I also love fish so the softie tank allows me to have lots of fish and worry about po4 as much. But all my Monties 10 different ones and lots of birdsnest have died. I've tried pulling stuff the second I see issues and moving it to other tanks but never make it. I've managed to save a frag off my big colonies. But my prize euphilia have lost a head and than another and it's never ending. I've cut the dead out right away and still end up loosing it.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: After alk issue

Which test kit are you using? How old is it? Have you had someone else test and verify your results?

Sent from my C771

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;253455 said:
Which test kit are you using? How old is it? Have you had someone else test and verify your results?

Sent from my C771
No I haven't but I use salifert kits, I just bought all new test kits a few weeks ago and I use Hanna checkers all new fluid I thought the same maybe bad test kits but all numbers are the same. I test once a week since I run dose pumps after a water change. I've tested before numerous times over the past several months and all parameters are spot on where is like to keep them. My cousin does this for a living and he's been over numerous times thinking that I'm missing something and were both at a loss at this point. I recently go a 5 head nuc green hammer from a shop and its growing like a weed so I don't get it. I've put frags from other tanks in the 90 that have never been there and they do fine so who knows what the deal is. I don't have room to pull all my corals and qt them for a month or so if that makes sense. They open but not what they used to.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I don't have any fish that would pick at corals so that's out. No shrimp that would, no crabs or anything that would. I've had all the rock for 2-3 yrs so no chance of any bad hitchhikers. I mean I've thought of everything. I clean sponges monthly and change carbon and gfo monthly like I've always done over the last 3-4 yrs. my routine has never changed. My frag tank and sps tank thrive its just the 90 that has issues

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

Brian sorry to here you're still having issues! No chance of a rogue peppermint for sure?

asn-naso

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Brian, after I used the bad salt that dropped my KH to 3, I lost a ton of corals, and others had similar behavior to yours. New ones that were added afterwords were fine. It was almost like they were injured, and couldn't fully recover.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
CRW Reef;253469 said:
Brian sorry to here you're still having issues! No chance of a rogue peppermint for sure?
No not for sure but I sat in front of the tank Friday night for 3 hrs after lights out and the only activity was snails on the glass lol. Boring way to get drunk lol

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
asneiman;253485 said:
Brian, after I used the bad salt that dropped my KH to 3, I lost a ton of corals, and others had similar behavior to yours. New ones that were added afterwords were fine. It was almost like they were injured, and couldn't fully recover.
Yea I almost feel like they are old men and won't recover after years of beating lol

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well just an update tank is getting broke down lost my teal pocilipora colony and my Duncan colony. Going to replace the sand in the tank and the fuge and dip everything and start over basically sand will be ordered this weekend.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio

So did the reconstruction start already? Is your frag tank overflowing yet?