AI Sols VS Radions

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hello all!! So I have the opportunity to jump into the LED realm! I think I'm deciding between the AI Sols and the Ecotech Radions! I've been doing some reading of my own to try and inform myself, but I'd also love to get some opinions from those of you who may have experience with either of the units, or LED's in general! What are the pro's and con's of either unit? Are there any neat extras or options with either unti? Which one would you choose?

I'll likely be getting 3 units of whatever light I decide to go with. For now they'll go over the 210 but will likely be downgrading to a 125 in the new few months or so. Thanks for the help!

a bag of it

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm far from an expert here, but from what I understand the radions are generally preferred over the sols. Ai's upcoming vega is more comparable being that it is full spectrum, but it's not out yet so there aren't any actual reviews.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I was just reading on AI's facebook that there will be an upgrade kit if you have the Sols to get to the Vega. Also, it looks like they'll start coming out in August'ish from the facebook page.

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think the Radions only add green and red. I don't think that's enough to pay double per fixture. You could do like Kris and just do a small DIY of turquoise, red, green or whatever color you wanted.

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
cdrewferd;177876 said:
I think the Radions only add green and red. I don't think that's enough to pay double per fixture. You could do like Kris and just do a small DIY of turquoise, red, green or whatever color you wanted.

Drew

Min addition to the other LEDs?

cdrewferd

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Check out Kris's build thread. I'm sure he'd be willing to let you come take a look, though Fort Collins to Highlands Ranch is a long ways to look at lights. You could always DIY if you wanted to get that into it. I would suggest going on RC Nd reading some of the DIY's along with the one on led coloration. Lots of info, but will help you make a more informed decision.

Drew

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have no time for DIY lol, plus I'm no good at it haha! Kris has his DIY in addition to the Radions? I'm not really into the red/green anyway do it may not matter?

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have experience with AI's, Radions and DIY.

IMO AI's>Radions and here is why. There is not a optic on the market better than what is in the AI fixtures. This means better intensity, better light spread better options and they are cheaper. The Radions just do not have the same punch as AI's. Now the benefit as far as spectrum, I don't believe that any of the current market fixtures have it down yet. I think they are going the wrong way, higher in wavelength and not lower. We all tend to go blue white and now green and red. I think the missing link between hailides and leds are in the 380-420 range, so more violet and to some degree ultra violet. If I were to guess one of the reasons that halides work so well is not all the UV gets filtered, some of it makes it to the corals from my limited reading about lighting on the net. I have 2 DIY fixtures(60 degree optics, violet, turquoise and red which is not being used) between 3 AI SOL Blue fixtures (all 40 degree optics).

Anyways I have used them both and I don't believe that the Radions are worth what they are asking, especially because IMO its a inferior product to AI SOL's but alas, I stand in the minority for most of what I read, a lot of people drink the Radion Kool-Aid. At the end of the day though they can both grow and color coral.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
I try not to be a KOOL aid drinker haha, thus my inquiry! I was leaning toward AI when I went in to ask about LEDs but wanted to get opinions before I did anything. Kris do you have the DIY for look or for function, or both? Thanks for the input!

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have ai's over my 90 and my 30. I have the whites on my 90 and the blue on my 30 I wish I would of went with blues on my 90 though. The color you get is awesome. My 90 is all Lps and softie and have never seen my corals happier with LEDs. I've used t5's and vho's in the past on the same corals. My 30 is all sps and a nem and getting great growth do far. I don't regret buying them one bit.

andynco

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;177883 said:
I have ai's over my 90 and my 30. I have the whites on my 90 and the blue on my 30 I wish I would of went with blues on my 90 though. The color you get is awesome. My 90 is all Lps and softie and have never seen my corals happier with LEDs. I've used t5's and vho's in the past on the same corals. My 30 is all sps and a nem and getting great growth do far. I don't regret buying them one bit.
how many do you have over your 90?

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;177883 said:
Stupid question haha, is there a mix white/blue or just one or the other. Lame newb LED guy I know lol

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;177881 said:

IMO AI's>Radions and here is why. There is not a optic on the market better than what is in the AI fixtures. This means better intensity, better light spread better options and they are cheaper. The Radions just do not have the same punch as AI's. Now the benefit as far as spectrum, I don't believe that any of the current market fixtures have it down yet. I think they are going the wrong way, higher in wavelength and not lower. We all tend to go blue white and now green and red. I think the missing link between hailides and leds are in the 380-420 range, so more violet and to some degree ultra violet. If I were to guess one of the reasons that halides work so well is not all the UV gets filtered, some of it makes it to the corals from my limited reading about lighting on the net. I have 2 DIY fixtures(60 degree optics, violet, turquoise and red which is not being used) between 3 AI SOL Blue fixtures (all 40 degree optics).

Anyways I have used them both and I don't believe that the Radions are worth what they are asking, especially because IMO its a inferior product to AI SOL's but alas, I stand in the minority for most of what I read, a lot of people drink the Radion Kool-Aid. At the end of the day though they can both grow and color coral.

Kris those look SUPER high, is that just the angle or are they really high?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
2 and have them 8" above the water. I have some birdsnest on the very ends of the tank and no issues with spread at all. Haddonisreef has a radion over his 90 cube and he was telling me he wasn't impressed with it.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
So the ai white is 2 whites and 1 blue. The ai blue is 1 white, 1 blue and 1 royal blue.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well I was looking for look and function but I think all I got was look. Its a fact that LED's can grow corals and IMO its still a fact that Halides will grow coral faster. I have taken virtually the exact same size frags and put one in my system at home and our show tank at the shop (halides, t5) and they always grow faster in the shops tank and my system is almost a year and a half older.

I do think the look of AI without supplementation is "cold" and feels more drap, or fake then Halides/t5 thats why I did a DIY fixture. Now my system is much more "warm", welcoming and my red corals look rich again and not bleached out. Growth hasn't changed due to lights. I did however start using Aquavitro Fuel about a moth ago, holy crap that's like crack for your corals, WOW, they are growing visibly faster now and getting a nice rich color to them (talking SPS), but that's for another topic.

a bag of it

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
djkms;177881 said:

If you had to do it again, would you do all diy? If so, what mix of leds? What do you think of the upcoming Vega?

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
They are high, 14"AWL. Par before the DIY fixtures was 650 surface and 250 sandbed, pretty even throughout. 40 degree optics are where its at for me.

Haddonisreef

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;177888 said:
Haddonisreef has a radion over his 90 cube and he was telling me he wasn't impressed with it.
I'm not happy w the spread on it! I need to raise the light. Over all I'm happy w the light, I like how you can do any spectrum from 10 k to 20 k not to mention the storms you can create! Your welcome to stop by Juan and check out the Radion over the anemone tank!