AI Sols VS Radions

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have had a chance to build my own LED system as well as see a lot of other DIY builds and consumer products.

First, DIY all the way, you get exactly what you want and what your corals need. But I understand that is not an option for everyone.

Second, there are more products on the market than just the AI's and Ecotech's. Any reason for not looking at the Maxspect, or Kessil also makes a good LED.
Each system has its own Pro's and Con's.
One of the biggest Con's with Ecotech is the software really sucks. Where the AI can be controlled via a few different ways.
The Maxspect Mazarra P series I think offers the best of everything. It has decent software as well as a great build and the same intensity as the AI's.
The Kessil's offer a great spotlight also and with enough I think you could light up a bigger tank. They use a different technology than everyone else, and I think its one that LED's will eventually switch to. Dense Matrix Array LED's, which are basically about 10 LED's on 1 chip. This allows you to mix color a lot better and I think imitates Halides much better.

In the end, I think you have to really look at what you want for your tank, as well as how you want it to look. For you Juan, I would think the Ecotech would offer the best solution since you can custom create any color look you want for your tank. This is not available with any other LED on the market right now. If you buy any of the others and are not happy with the color, there isn't anything you can do.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
What about led's plus supplimentation with t5 for a richer color and even light spread + you can change out bulbs to color correct and fill in some of the spectrum gap?

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;177966 said:
Wow, yea. I change my vote. Hold out for the AI Vega Color.
I've gotta do this sooner rather than later and have been leaning towards AI's since I asked the question. If I can upgrade later via a kit then waiting is a moot point.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I doubt you will be able to upgrade since each bulb is independently controlled. Pretty sure there will be some significant hardware changes in the body that will not make the pucks compatible.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;178166 said:
I doubt you will be able to upgrade since each bulb is independently controlled. Pretty sure there will be some significant hardware changes in the body that will not make the pucks compatible.
The AI facebook page (and they could be blowing smoke up my ***) says that you will indeed be able to upgrade the Sol's to the Vega's via some sort of kit. Someone else posed the question to them there.

that0neguy1126

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would still be skeptical on if it would be able to or not. AI seems to be keeping it as hush-hush as they can.
The Sol's have 8 pucks on them where the Vega only has 4.

If the pucks are compatible at least and you could put them in a Sol, you just wouldn't get the functionality of controlling each light individually. This could be good or bad, you would get the increased spectrum, but some of the color's (like red) you could not control the intensity individually and may be to bright.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
The led pucks are exchangeable. It's a new power supply, new led pucks and new control board and you send your old stuff back to them.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
that0neguy1126;178196 said:
I would still be skeptical on if it would be able to or not. AI seems to be keeping it as hush-hush as they can.
The Sol's have 8 pucks on them where the Vega only has 4.

If the pucks are compatible at least and you could put them in a Sol, you just wouldn't get the functionality of controlling each light individually. This could be good or bad, you would get the increased spectrum, but some of the color's (like red) you could not control the intensity individually and may be to bright.
Derek is always a skeptic :), better than being gullible I guess

09bumblebee;178200 said:
The led pucks are exchangeable. It's a new power supply, new led pucks and new control board and you send your old stuff back to them.
Did you get that from their website?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
No I called them and talked to them about it. I was wanting to do it and be the first but they wouldnt give in. They didnt have pricing details yet either.

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;178209 said:
No I called them and talked to them about it. I was wanting to do it and be the first but they wouldnt give in. They didnt have pricing details yet either.
Whammy, straight from the horses mouth! I'm glad that you got to hear it straight from AI! I think that AI's are going to be what I go with unless there is a standout somewhere else.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Keep an eye out on all the forums for people selling them I got a killer deal on 2 ai sol's and controller. 500 haha

hurrafreak

Orca
M.A.S.C Club Member
09bumblebee;178213 said:
Keep an eye out on all the forums for people selling them I got a killer deal on 2 ai sol's and controller. 500 haha
I'm going new. The three lights and a controller. I think I'll be getting them early August.

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hopefully you can just update the software for the controller. My guess is you would have to buy a new one though to support the vega??

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well if tge pucks are the same I would think u could just update tge software im actually thinking I'll get two vegas and put them inbetween my three ai sol blues

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Craigar said:
Well if tge pucks are the same I would think u could just update tge software im actually thinking I'll get two vegas and put them inbetween my three ai sol blues
Or you could just take my 2 whites and I'll get the vega's lmao :)