Air Bubbles

Ok so I am having an issue with air bubbles in my display tank stuck to the rocks and sand. It seems to only be when the lights are on. In the morning before the lights come on there seems to be no air bubbles but about mid afternoon they just seem to appear. I am skimming 24 hours a day, is this to much? I will attach a pic. Thanks in advance for your help.

View attachment 10393

View attachment 10394

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I think your skimming way too much, I had alot of micro bubbles in my tank, reduced the amount of skimming and BAM, no more bubbles.

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
I dont know anything about that skimmer, but I run mine roughly 6 hours a day, Ill run it for 12 the day before a water change just to help remove nasties.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I would say you need a dif way if configuring the output if the skimmer or adjusting your bubble traps or maybe even adding a bubble trap. The other problem could be leaks in your locline returns.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Re: Air Bubbles

Any updates on this? Did you determine it to be just air bubbles stuck to algae or dinoflagellates or something else?

I put a piece of foam in the sump below the bubble trap and the problem went away. I believe it was just micro bubbles that were making through the bubble trap amd getting pumped up to the display and that was attaching to the rocks and sand. No more on any of the rocks or sand.