Algae issue

I was wondering if someone has advice/experience with this type of algae. It started out as stringy and now it's forming into webs. I've never experienced this type. I lost a nem to a power head 2 weeks ago, I think it may have something to do with this although nitrates and phosphates have been 0 the whole time. Any advice on how to get rid of it?

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Start a siphon with some tubing and try to siphon it off the rocks without disturbing any of it. You can try lights out period, maybe 2 days?

What else do you have in the tank? What are all of your water parameters? Size of aquarium and how long has it been up and running?

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
TheRealChrisBrown;361262 said:
Start a siphon with some tubing and try to siphon it off the rocks without disturbing any of it. You can try lights out period, maybe 2 days?

What else do you have in the tank? What are all of your water parameters? Size of aquarium and how long has it been up and running?
+1

It's a 65g.
I have:

One false perc
One firefish goby
One mandarin goby
One cardinal fish
One yellow tang

Zoas, palys, a hammer, torch, green slimer, birds nest, montis, toadstool, gsp, blaso, acro, flower pot, and purple milli. All of the corals seem to be doing fine aside from where the algae is blowing into it.

The tank has been setup in my possession for 2 months, however the previous owner had it set up for over a year. I moved the water and everything when I bought it.

Params are (as of 3 days ago)
Temp 79
Spec grav 1.026
Ph 8.2
Kh 9
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos 0
Ca 440

Last time I checked mag was on 13 sep it was 1400

TheRealChrisBrown

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Params look good. Why did you lose your anemone?

Some other things you can look into:
Do you use RODI water?
Good flow throughout the aquarium?
Overfeeding?
Old bulbs in t5 or MH?

I was out of town for a weekend and when I got back all I found of the nem was the foot sucked to a circulation pump. I have very ample flow throughout. I'm using 2x165w Chinese black box leds. I am using rodi water. The Ro buddies one with the di add on. It's possible the di could need to be replaced. It said to change it when the resin changes color. About half of the resin has changed to an orange color. Also I'm feeding 1/4 cube mysis and 1/4 cube calanus 1x daily. Also feeding 2.5ml phyto 2x a week and maybe 1/4 tsp coral frenzy 2x a week.

I've got the lights off now. I'll replace the DI stage of my filter and try reducing the amount I'm feeding. Hopefully that will do the trick.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Might be a diatom or cyano bloom from the recent death of the nem. Just do more than usual on the water changes and siphon up what you can when you do them.

dvenson

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
InCheyenne;361286 said:
I was out of town for a weekend and when I got back all I found of the nem was the foot sucked to a circulation pump. I have very ample flow throughout. I'm using 2x165w Chinese black box leds. I am using rodi water. The Ro buddies one with the di add on. It's possible the di could need to be replaced. It said to change it when the resin changes color. About half of the resin has changed to an orange color. Also I'm feeding 1/4 cube mysis and 1/4 cube calanus 1x daily. Also feeding 2.5ml phyto 2x a week and maybe 1/4 tsp coral frenzy 2x a week.

Did you do a water change after you discover the nem in the powerhead? If so how big? The pieces of nem flowing through the tank didnt go anywhere unless you got them all out which decays and will add ammonia into the system. I would suggest doing several water changes or one big one before spending money on new filters yet.

I did a 25% water change when I discovered the nem was gone and have done another 25% change since. I'm planning on doing another 25% tomorrow. I didn't remove any pieces of the nem besides the foot because I couldn't find any by the time I got back.

szavoda

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Also - just because Phos is "0" doesn't mean you don't have excess Phos in the tank - the algae could just be consuming it as it is produced. It wouldn't hurt to put in a bag of Phosban or similar...