Alk demand

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
So here is my question. I just got a Hanna checker and I want to know exactly what my alk demand is. I know check in a 24 hour time period at exactly the same time and you can figure out what you are using. Where my problem comes into place is if you dosed and hour before the test on the first test day will you still get correct findings. Boy I sure hope that came out sounding ok.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
yea as long as you checked after the dose and again 24hrs later you should be fine.

IMO though...you would be better off allowing the tank to sit for a good 2 days with no dosing, as the sudden change in parameters after dosing could, theoretically, affect the corals' growth rates and throw off the readings. So...if you dosed yesterday and checked the Alk, then checked Alk today without dosing, check again tomorrow just before dosing and take the average of the consumption rate over 2 days (take the total drop and divide by 2).

The more days you sample the more accurate your calculation will be.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk demand

My concern is if I don't dose I lose a coral every time. Which is telling me my demand is fairly high. I don't want to lose anymore corals and want to get my dosing pumps running so that I can steadily raise to I disired level instead of being on that dangerous boundary

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
gotcha. Yea in that case I would just measure each day before you dose for a few days...and jot down the consumption. After a few days figure out your average and you should be good to go.

I mention skipping a day because it seemed to work best for me when my tank was "young" with a low consumption rate. I did eventually have to go back and change my autodosing rate once things settled in and started taking off...but getting a baseline required measuring over multiple days since the consumption rate was so low at that time.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk demand

Ok that's what I was thinking. However my consumption as of now is between 3/4 to 1 a day based off API. And Jamie's Hanna checker had me at around 3/4 for a 24 hr period. I am looking very forward to results because now I am going to be able to get much more accurate readings myself.

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
that sounds about right. My tank maxed out at 1 a day once things settled in. You can always just set your dosing pumps to dose enough alk for through the day for that 3/4 consumption rate to get things automated, then monitor your Alk over a few days and adjust up or down as needed...just depends on how soon you want to get things hands free.

Aaron

Cyano
M.A.S.C Club Member
Make sure you make a note of the expiration date on your reagent. Mine expired a few months ago and I was still using it. Turns out was giving me low readings and confusing the heck out of me.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk demand

jahmic;255504 said:
that sounds about right. My tank maxed out at 1 a day once things settled in. You can always just set your dosing pumps to dose enough alk for through the day for that 3/4 consumption rate to get things automated, then monitor your Alk over a few days and adjust up or down as needed...just depends on how soon you want to get things hands free.
I always want to be as hands free as possible because I like removing human error. I feel if you set up automation it help eliminate some problems such as air bubbles in dosing syringe and stuff

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk demand

chswkt;255505 said:
Make sure you make a note of the expiration date on your reagent. Mine expired a few months ago and I was still using it. Turns out was giving me low readings and confusing the heck out of me.
Most definitely will. Luckily it's a brand new Hanna checker and hope to test vigoriously to get prams as stable as possible. Hopefully I test enough to run out

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Alk demand

I'd follow the brs recommendations for your size tank. Dose for a week and then retest. Go to the brs site and see what you need to do to get your levels straight. Then divide the amount needed by 7. Add that to what you are dosing for a final number. Till your coral grows...

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Alk demand

Problem with dosing for a week is I don't want to dose blind. Amount of coral in a tank is to subjective for me. I really want to define a baseline of consumption and adjust from there.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well tried testing and for some reason I am getting huge swings. So I set it to run at least amount used and will adjust from there. Hopefully everything will level out.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Andrew_bram;257945 said:
Well tried testing and for some reason I am getting huge swings. So I set it to run at least amount used and will adjust from there. Hopefully everything will level out.
I can run over and test and dose if needed!