All right, about to drink the kalkwasser kool aid. Some basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Trying to figure out exactly how to dose this magic formula. I don't use an ato tank as I top off directly from my rodi unit using a float valve. This would be for the 210g display with a 75g ish sump. What do you recommend? How much?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice calculator but I didn't see kalkwasser as a product in their select a product menu.

Question was more geared towards equipment needed too. Should I get a stirrer and just set it up to do a slow drip it is there an easier/better way for my setup?

Sent my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
put a teaspoon in a couple gallons, and dump it in the sump. after a few weeks up it to 2 tsp, I would say the limit for your system is going to be ~3tsp in 4-5g, but break it in.
my tank is still just a little cloudy from its daily dose of 1-2 gallons, 20 min ago.
xenia is pulsing, frogspawn is fluffy and happy, LPS all tentacles out.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Guess I need to go but some mix.lol

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
make sure you mix it with freshwater, SW will not disolve ANY Ca. (I am sure you know, but some times people dont)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I didn't.lol. figured to use rodi as its a tipoff type if thing.

Walter White

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Mark I have a PM kalk reactor that I may or may not be using on the big tank. Ill take some pics to show you how it works but it hooks up directly with your RO/DI so you could still use the ro unit for your ATO it would just pass through the kalk reactor first.

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That would be great!

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I use kalk. At first I had my Tunze ATO push RO water through the stirrer into the sump. It would top off 10 times a day at 1 minute at a time to avoid overdose. This worked good but I wanted something more continuous so now I have my litermeter pushing 5 liters per day of RO water through the stirrer and this runs all day at 5 minute intervals. I am all about automation so the stirrer works great for me. I hope to automate my vodka/vinegar dosing next.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
Whoa slow down. First you need to figure out how much your tank uses. I wouldnt dose it without testing. Watch your ph. I would NEVER dump a gallon of limewater in a normal sized tank. You could kill eveything in a heartbeat. The ph of limewater is 12-13 Slow down, Start here.
reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php
What you grandmother never told you about lime

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
lol, ok, andyrm66 you are welcome to come over and witness my dosing regiment any time.......

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;127621 said:
Nice calculator but I didn't see kalkwasser as a product in their select a product menu.

Question was more geared towards equipment needed too. Should I get a stirrer and just set it up to do a slow drip it is there an easier/better way for my setup?

Sent my DROID X2 using Tapatalk
Referring to jdieck's page linked above...limewater = kalkwasser.

The pH of full strength mix is 12.5. Please read this before you leap (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php).

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
andyrm66;127793 said:
Whoa slow down. First you need to figure out how much your tank uses. I wouldnt dose it without testing. Watch your ph. I would NEVER dump a gallon of limewater in a normal sized tank. You could kill eveything in a heartbeat. The ph of limewater is 12-13 Slow down, Start here.
reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php
What you grandmother never told you about lime
Agreed. I missed your post when reading the thread. Glad to see we posted the same article!

Wicked Demon;127808 said:
lol, ok, andyrm66 you are welcome to come over and witness my dosing regiment any time.......
Yeah, take that Andy. Don't be a sissy. We didn't need that article anyways. Besides, when we crash our tanks, we get to upgrade. :)

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
miwoodar;127863 said:
Agreed. I missed your post when reading the thread. Glad to see we posted the same article!

Yeah, take that Andy. Don't be a sissy. We didn't need that article anyways. Besides, when we crash our tanks, we get to upgrade. :)
Please look before you judge

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Suggesting that the OP read an article on using kalkwasser is not too much to ask. Please note that he didn't know that limewater and kalkwasser are the same thing. I'm not judging. I'm offering up one of the best kalkwasser articles available on the web as written by the reigning authority by all-things-chemical in the hobby. Would you suggest that Boogie start dumping kalk in his tank without telling him to do his own due-diligence first?

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wicked Demon;127881 said:
As evidenced by my overwhelming number of dead corals?:rolleyes:
I'll be happy to repeat what I just said...

miwoodar;127880 said:
Suggesting that the OP read an article on using kalkwasser is not too much to ask. Please note that he didn't know that limewater and kalkwasser are the same thing. I'm not judging. I'm offering up one of the best kalkwasser articles available on the web as written by the reigning authority by all-things-chemical in the hobby. Would you suggest that Boogie start dumping kalk in his tank without telling him to do his own due-diligence first?

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
miwoodar;127863 said:
This basicly says I am trying to crash his tank, if people dont want to trust my method thats fine, but untill you see my results why would you knock it?

Status
Not open for further replies.