All right, about to drink the kalkwasser kool aid. Some basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Boogie;128143 said:
Would you say that the article he quoted is incorrect then? Just curious, not lighting fires here.
+1. I'm trying to figure it out as well. I'm guessing that it didn't make a clear enough distinction between a snowstorm PPT event and cloudiness from putting undissolved lime in the tank.

Cody, FWIW, that article isn't one that needs to be searched for. It's from one of Randy's 'BIG' ones and it's one of the staples of the hobby that has been offered up by many a reefer.

Here is the thing. I think it's great for people to put up their opinions on here and for everyone to pick and choose for themselves what info they like and don't. However when someone starts ( like Andy and has on several occasions) to act like an expert, then it is time to go to qualifications. And sorry but the things that I said are absolutely true and stated by the biology dept at CU and any other university. Call the bio department tomorrow and ask them if you are qualified to read a scientific article and when they tell you " no you are not" you will better understand why I take the stance I do. I put a lot of hard work into a bio undergrad and masters. So yes, when Andy acts like I'm just wrong on the ich issue because he made a few observations of his own and found an article from the 1950's that supports his view I'm going to take offense. I just came across s kalk thread and found him trying to play the expert so I figured I would explain what he needs to do in order to become one

About that article. I'm sure at the time and for a period afterwards it was regarded as definitive. However I spent my last semester studying at the University of California, Santa Barbara studying with Kevin Lafferty who is today's leading marine disease ecologist. His major area of study is coral black band disease but he is versed on all marine diseases. He absolutely believes that ich is prevalent in the environment in one stage or another and believes its life cycle may not be fully understood. Like I said I have no problem with options just unqualified experts :)

Boogie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Soooo...ahhh..instead of telling me he is wrong or not qualified, can you tell me a better way to add kalk? Again, not lighting fires, just trying to see the "why?".

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
WTF. Cody get real! Im unqualified to make scientific arguments becuase *gasp* I dont have a biology degree? From the sounds of it this isnt the fisrt time this has come up. Sorry to step on your toes. I will check with you next time I decide to read and research published articles, before I form my own thoughts on the matter. If you notice, I never once told wicked his way is wrong, I stated the OP should research and find what method works for him the best.

If this is a the way a local club forum is I'll take my chances with RC.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ding-ding-ding. ICH! LOL, I thought you were commenting specifically on something he posted in this thread. Biology is a lot more challenging than the simple chemistry we need around here.

Don't ask me about ich. I got nothing. I know my fish don't have spots. That's about it.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
i understand your point right or wrong ....except

maybe your professors pounded the reading thing in your head but im sorry i learned how to read in the 1st grade i dont need to call some college and ask them if i'm qualified to do so .....lol

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
andyrm66;128156 said:
WTF. Cody get real! Im unqualified to make scientific arguments becuase *gasp* I dont have a biology degree? From the sounds of it this isnt the fisrt time this has come up. Sorry to step on your toes. I will check with you next time I decide to read and research published articles, before I form my own thoughts on the matter. If you notice, I never once told wicked his way is wrong, I stated the OP should research and find what method works for him the best.

If this is a the way a local club forum is I'll take my chances with RC.
When you cant stand the heat, I guess you dont hang out in the kitchen?
You know what corals like? Calcium. Do they care how they get it? No. When do they want it? Now. I am going dosing.....
I agree, research first, dose second.

andyrm66

Butterfly Fish
So your so qualified as a biologist? You've been published? Where do you work again? We are talking about simply chemistry here.

Whatever, I dont need your condesending attidue or the fact your not willing to listen to other people becuase they don't have a degree in biology. Saying someone isnt qualified to read scientfic articles shows how our education system let you down. Your head is pumped full of unicorns and lollipops by those great tenured professors at CU and it shows in your elite, "holier than thou" attitude.

Oh for the record I started my degree in Chemical Engineering, but completed in Network Technology. Starting my second. Sorry I dont hang my paper as high as you do and treat people the way you do. Some of the biggest and best minds I've ever met dont have a over priced piece of paper or the attitude to go with it.

Lol that's not really what they are saying. Everyone can read them. However to form opinions and share those opinions with others is where the line is drawn.

dv3

Beluga
M.A.S.C Club Member
Tripple T;128166 said:
Lol that's not really what they are saying. Everyone can read them. However to form opinions and share those opinions with others is where the line is drawn.
oh im pretty sure that we dont share many opinions ....lol

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I think there is so much common ground here we need to search for something dumb to bicker about, all needed info has been supplied to Boogie, so unless there is additional "info" the thread will be closed soon.

And yes Andy I had this same conversation with spstime. Unfortunately working at a fish store doesn't make you an expert either. This shouldn't be that hard to understand man. It's just like being a construction worker dosent make you an engineer even if you understand engineering.

I honestly really appreciate everyone's advice on masc. I truly learn things every day. There are lots of people on here with incredible insight. I just hate when I see people start to take over and act like the expert. I'll battle that on every post I see with it.

Wicked Color

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Man I am not one of those either, just a painter, anybody need paint advise?
andyrm66;128176 said:
I think boogie is well on his way to joining the church, regardless of what denomination he goes with.
Yes I think everybody arguing about how to use it overshadowed the do or dont aspect.

miwoodar

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I suck at painting. My wife is painting our basement right now. I want nothing to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.