Aloha from Hawai'i

Andreaehlrs

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Some of you may remember me when I worked at various lfs around Denver with the last one being aquatic art. I have since relocated to the big island of Hawai'i to pursue my degree in marine science. I also run a bed and breakfast and would love to see some familiar faces; especially since our guests are rarely from the US. Not to mention most are afraid of the water. So I figured I'd post on here to see if anyone wants to dive with eagle rays, tiger sharks, or just see a beautiful reef. Check out the link
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/15912516?guests=1&adults=1&children=0&infants=0&s=-7fJCfnW

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
I'm headed there this weekend with the family! We'll be in Kona for half and Hilo for the other half. I really want to dive, but we have a 4 and 6 year old in tow and they aren't super conducive to diving. Will do plenty of snorkeling and maybe the manta ray night snorkel with them.

Where do you go to dive with tigers? I thought they were pretty uncommon around the main islands.

Andreaehlrs

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nice that's awesome. I did the manta ray snorkel a couple of years ago and it's still the most exciting thing I've ever done. Waiopae tide pools on the east side of the island is also great for beginner snorkelers and is one of the more healthy reefs. I've only seen the tigers at the kona harbor. I either saw three or saw the same one three times. Kona also has their resident shark Laverne. But there's definitely more sharks in the northwesterns than the main islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spinycheek

Featured Sponsors
Featured Sponsor
Andreaehlrs;n667289 said:
Nice that's awesome. I did the manta ray snorkel a couple of years ago and it's still the most exciting thing I've ever done. Waiopae tide pools on the east side of the island is also great for beginner snorkelers and is one of the more healthy reefs. I've only seen the tigers at the kona harbor. I either saw three or saw the same one three times. Kona also has their resident shark Laverne. But there's definitely more sharks in the northwesterns than the main islands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We're definitely planning on snorkeling Waiopae, we lived there about 10 years ago while going to UHH and that was one of our favorite snorkel spots. I also love night-time wading at Onekahakaha, lots of cool critters come out there including some deep water stuff.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Hey Andrea, good to hear you are doing well. I believe I will be out there in the next year or so with the fam, will have to stop by and say hi :)

Fourthwind

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
One of the best dives I ever had was a night dive with the Manta rays at the Big Island. Look forward to bringing my kids there someday and doing even more reefs around the island.