Anemones swimming..... I need help please.

I have my anemone tank, 45g 36x12x24. I have great flow (return and mp40 set 1/2 way) and lighting (2x 120w leds set 15" up) and water quality (see below). One was acting up and floating a lot around the tank. I put it in a spot and it planted right away was looking great. Monday it went swimming and ended up in the foam guard of the mp40. Now they all look really angry (same look as when a brislte worm crawled in one). Another one ended up in the over flow return Tuesday, it was unharmed and looks the best out of the 3.

Before I start to officially freak now 3 days into this, is this normal behavior after one got stressed? Should I start to do anything to calm them down?

I have tested for ph, ammonia, nitrates, nitrates, calcium, phosphate and dkh. My ph was a bit low 7.8-8 and dkh was 7 other than that everything was great. Is there another test to test?

I did do a 15g water change (25% total) just incase and have my skimmer on full blast.

I set this tank up April. I used live rock for the fuge from my existing tank and cured the dried rock for a month. I started with crushed coral and shell mix but went to sand because thats just right. I used the sand that was in the fuge. I was thinking this was bad but the sand was only there for 2 months not any time for deadly gases to build up right? This was done a week before anemones started looking like crap.

There is also some zoas in the tank, they are open and look great, all cuc is happy. What can/should I do now? I am starting to make water for a 50% water change now anticipating your responses :)

Thank you

ReefCheif

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
The only time my nems have ever floated is when first adding them, however, i do know that nens will inflate their foot and float in the curtents to move to different parts of the reef in the wild, so I guess its possible.

As for the one that ended up in the mp40, was it damaged at all?

Nems are fairly toxic so its possible it released crap into the water which irritated the others. Zoas have a fairly high tolerance to poor water, so that could explain why they're still open.

I would do a good size water change and run some carbon, should clear it up

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 on what ReefCheif said. They may also be unhappy with your lighting, in the wrong spot in the tank (usually a flow issue), there could be stray electrical current in the tank, or they could be hungry or lonely (looking for clowns to host them). I wouldn't freak out after just 3 days, but if it doesn't settle out in a week or so, then get worried. Nems are notoriously finicky.

Craigar

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Anemones swimming..... I need help please.

Are they all the same type of nem? If not some nems don't get along with others also

I have also read that proper Iodide levels help keep nems happy. IDK if they would want to just up and leave because of low Iodide, but it is a possibility.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;251791 said:
I have also read that proper Iodide levels help keep nems happy. IDK if they would want to just up and leave because of low Iodide, but it is a possibility.
Iodide should be at 0.045 ppm. Lugol's solution would be a good investment.

For a 40 g dosing schedule for lugol's solution

1 drop 2 time a week even weeks
1 drop 1 time a week odd weeks

sethsolomon;251806 said:
Iodide should be at 0.045 ppm. Lugol's solution would be a good investment.

For a 40 g dosing schedule for lugol's solution

1 drop 2 time a week even weeks
1 drop 1 time a week odd weeks
Personally I'm partial to the Brightwell Aquatics Iodide supplement as a source for dosing. It's not so dang concentrated, so if you add 1 drop too many you don't go and kill all your fish. I know one drop won't do it, but you get the point. Also, I would suggest investing in an Iodide test if you are going to dose Iodide. I was just throwing it out there as a possibility. Take a water sample in to a LFS that is willing to test for trace elements and have them test Iodide. Mine actually read almost zero the first time I got mine tested so I dosed Brightwell Aquatics Iodion for about 2 weeks to get it up to help my shrimps molt as they were developing black spots due to low Iodide.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;251808 said:
Personally I'm partial to the Brightwell Aquatics Iodide supplement as a source for dosing. It's not so dang concentrated, so if you add 1 drop too many you don't go and kill all your fish. I know one drop won't do it, but you get the point. Also, I would suggest investing in an Iodide test if you are going to dose Iodide. I was just throwing it out there as a possibility. Take a water sample in to a LFS that is willing to test for trace elements and have them test Iodide. Mine actually read almost zero the first time I got mine tested so I dosed Brightwell Aquatics Iodion for about 2 weeks to get it up to help my shrimps molt as they were developing black spots due to low Iodide.

Also, a good idea :p +1

also probably safer for a 40g

I stayed up way too late last night waiting for water to be ready! As of 11 am they were looking 75% better. Yes the one anem lost 3 tentacles total in both adventures to mp40 foam ride. I always have a sack of carbon right under the overflow drain in sump, I will activate a new batch and replace, Thanks Reefcheif.

Cindy, the 2 anemones that are related seem to be having the most problem. They have a pair of clowns they have been with for years but were separated when switching tanks. At first the anemones were happy, could they just need there fish friends? I was going to add them last week, maybe I should have.

Craigar, They are all the same type bubble anemone, 2 related ones are roses and I have one rainbow from Charlie. They love to bundle and sway together.

Bubba and Seth, I dont dose but am leaning that direction. I did have some Kent Iodine and moly & Stron handy to I added a half dose for now. I will do my research on the forums and look into something more sufficient. I do need all the test kits then, any advice on full/recomended kits since I should start there?

Thank you very much for the pointers and help. Hopefully they are stabilizing as it appears. I will update when something change :)

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
My nem went walking when I lost his clowns to velvet. He'd been totally happy in that spot up to that point. As if he didn't care where he was as long as he had clown buddies. I finally had to take him out and donate him to a friend's tank that has clowns, because I couldn't have him killing my corals in his clownhunt.

Sweet. Ive done almost 100% water change in the last 3 days. I will let them chill out and get a red sea test kit tomorrow. If everything is okay I will add the clowns and see if that cheers them up. I think it will since they are the only 2 acting up. They did all merge to the same area and are all touching tentacles as of 6pm but are looking more tired, still better than yesterday thou.

Alrighty, All water test are good. I had to observe for quite a bit but I think I got it fixed. I think I had my lights up a bit too high (15" from water), I lowered the lights and the rainbow anemone and zoas look fantastic. The 2 rose anemones look like hell but there is definitely an improvement, tentacles are out and they regained there natural shape. I am worried about the smaller rose it appears to have lost some color. Ill give it some time, any suggestions on how to revive the anemone to full strength?

I moved the rainbow to my other tank and all have regained happiness. I suppose after this I have learned nems shouldn't be mixed after all. There goes my aquacultured nem study/plans!