Anyone ever dealt with clownfish disease?

So I set up my new tank about 2 weeks ago, everything was perfect in my old system, but now my clownfish are showing signs of a disease. Not sure if it's ich, brooklynella or something else. I am looking to do a formalin dip, but has anyone ever done these? Any thing would help..

White fuzzy stuff on both of them. I've done a ton of research online but I'm not sure if it's ich, marine velvet or brooklynella

They both seem to be eating okay.. I've also been soaking their food in garlic. They still live in their sunburst anemone, no other unusual patterns except the fuzz on them

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sounds like marine velvet. Do you have pictures? If it is ice I would do hypo salinity or copper treatment in a different tank. If it is marine velvet you can try a fresh water dip. The garlic should help strengthen their immune systems.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Get all of your fish in quarantine NOW. I cant be sure what you have without a picture, but when my tank got an outbreak of velvet, I lost 4 of 12 fish in 3 days. If I hadnt put them in quarantine and started treatment within a day, I would have lost all of them.

If it is velvet, the only treatment that will work is a freshwater dip before placing them into quarantine to give them a fighting chance for a day or two, followed by 1 month of copper treatment and 1 additional month in quarantine without copper.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaMonkey

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
The fresh water dip won't hurt them and is an easy thing to try. I would start with that and keep dipping their food in garlic

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Nmertz1;335147 said:
What is the best way to do a freshwater dip?
Mix 10% freshly made saltwater with 90% rodi. Adjust the temperature and pH so that it is neary identical to your display tank (you can use baking soda to increase and vinegar reduce the pH). Once everything matches, place the fish in the freshwater for 5 minutes or until it starts flailing (whuchever comes first). If they look like they are playing dead, that is normal.

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it was brook you would know. It moves even faster than velvet. They would be dead by morning. I agree with getting to qt right away. With velvet its fast killer so rapid changes in behavior so all of a sudden they will stop eating or swiming then die. Ick is more prolonged so more noticable when they stop eating. If that makes sense.

High Plains Reefer

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Platinum Sponsor
If they are still alive it's most likely brook, velvet will nuke a tank in days/hours you need to get all fish out and run a fallow tank for 6 weeks I believe please take a fish to a local fish store to make sure it's brook quick cure is what I used for formalin

It's also worth noting they have had this stuff on them for 4 day. Not sure if that helps eliminate one disease over another. I couldn't find anywhere that said how long they would last before they died with each disease..

Here's a couple pics of the clowns. The yellow tang definitely seems to have ich, (salt grains all over his body) so I'm not sure if everyone has ich or I have 2 different diseases going on..