Apex power

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I've finally gotten an Apex for the tanks at school and I got an extra energy bar 8. That give me a total of 16 outlets. Just the lights could take up almost that many outlets. So I'm wondering do people plug power strips or 3 way outlets into these? They are just pricey to pick up another 8 just to run my lights that I plan to have on the same program.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You can use power strips as long as you don't exceed the amperage rating of the outlet.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Apex power

That was what I figured. I just wanted to double check before I made plans to unplug everything and plug it back in only to experience problems. I'm honestly a little intimidated by this thing.

Dr.DiSilicate

Great White Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
MuralReef;350830 said:
That was what I figured. I just wanted to double check before I made plans to unplug everything and plug it back in only to experience problems. I'm honestly a little intimidated by this thing.
I was intimidated at first too! They are pretty easy. Use fusion on your computer to program. Much less cumbersome. I still haven't tapped into the potential but am pretty comfortable with the basic stuff. Didn't take long.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
I set up the one in the library as I built the tank and it works great. I am sure I haven't tapped the true potential either. That may change when the classroom tank is up and running on one too. I've got my power strips to expand out some of my lighting but haven't had the time.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;358071 said:
My problem is time
If you write it off as a "charitable donation" at a billing rate of $100 per hour (so I can claim it on my taxes), I can remote in through fusion and program the whole thing for you.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The basic programming is no biggie. What will take my time is reorganizing all of the cords and plug.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
zombie;358072 said:
If you write it off as a "charitable donation" at a billing rate of $100 per hour (so I can claim it on my taxes), I can remote in through fusion and program the whole thing for you.
Appreciate the offer though!

Highway66

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have seen that some people will build a "break out outlet box" if they have alot of high power lights. Basically if your handy with wiring you can use one outlet to trip a relay energizing several plugs that get power from a seperate source, if that makes sense. im sure you can google it. I dont know how much cheaper it would be to make than another eb4 or eb8? Unless your powering alot of lights?

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Highway66;358076 said:
I have seen that some people will build a "break out outlet box" if they have alot of high power lights. Basically if your handy with wiring you can use one outlet to trip a relay energizing several plugs that get power from a seperate source, if that makes sense. im sure you can google it. I dont know how much cheaper it would be to make than another eb4 or eb8? Unless your powering alot of lights?
Most people only do that if they have a lot of halides that would require many EB8s. It costs about $30 per outlet to do that. For really high current above 15 amps (usually only commercial applications) you would have an EB8 outlet trigger a contactor that is fed by a 30A or larger circuit breaker.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Apex power

Don't know my total power draw but I know having it spread out over 2 EB8's on two separate outlets on different breakers will work.