API, Test kit

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
How to know if a test kit doesn't work:confused2:

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
look at the label and see if it says API.

jk....

i only use API test kits for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and sometimes ph. anything else and they dont seem accurate/reliable enough. For alk, calc, mag, and phos, ill use salifert.

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I just test tap water with this kit and everythin was normal? ??????? Can this thing expires?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Smiley;254914 said:
look at the label and see if it says API.

jk....

i only use API test kits for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and sometimes ph. anything else and they dont seem accurate/reliable enough. For alk, calc, mag, and phos, ill use salifert.
LMAO

+1 to this. Although I even found that my API ammonia test consistently gave me a false positive of 0.25 ppm

tony02133

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Lol i think i know the difference on that its just a simple question dont make fun off me hahaha

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Oh not making fun of you at all...their kits are just notoriously unreliable.

What kits are you trying to determine whether they are working or not?

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: API, Test kit

So are you trying to test ammonia nitrite and nitrate?

Your best bet will be to make reference solutions. Basically...what you are doing is making a solution of a known ppm, and testing that solution with your kit. In addition to being able to prove that your kit is working, you will also be calibrating your kit so that you have a more accurate reference than those color cards. I've found the color cards to be pretty inaccurate when trying to determine levels of ammonia and nitrate; you can save a couple vials of the reference solution after testing them, and use those colors as a reference instead of the color card. Check out the links below to "recipes" on making solutions. Oh...and yes...those API kits can and do expire. I toss them after 2 years.

http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/7947-Reference-solutions-for-Ammonia-and-Nitrite

http://www.barrreport.com/showthrea...d-PO4-reference-solutions(repost-from-Left-C)

jahmic

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: API, Test kit

The other easy option is to just take a sample of water to your LFS and have them test it. See if they get the same results as you did with the api kit.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
the master test kit is great, it has everything you need at the beginning to monitor cycles and such, as well as an easy way to test common problems., but the alkalinity only measures to the round number... very hard to keep balanced.