1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Aurora Quest 450 Gallon Classroom Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by MuralReef, Jun 15, 2018.

1. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Clowns are still regularly producing eggs. They actually have a clutch right now. I thought that my Bangaii Cardinals were breeding too, but then I never saw any evidence. Until today when I spotted no fewer than 3 small cardinals in my sump! Hard to get a good pic though. He is in there right below the LED reflection almost dead center. IMG_3231.JPG

2. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

Oh and my sump has turned into a mysid shrimp and pod breeder again!

SkyShark and SynDen like this.
  3. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Have you have the cardinals survive to adulthood before?

4. MuralReef

No, but they look like they are big enough to feed on the pods and other goodies in the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC mobile app

SkyShark and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  5. MuralReef

So I recently attempted to add a yellow tang which the purple and scopas proceeded to beat the snot out of. He was chilling in one of the corners of the tank this morning so I scooped him up and put him in an "acclimation box". It's really just a box made out of egg crate. Do you think this will help? I would like to at least get him feeding consistently. If you think this is a good idea how long should I keep him in there? If its not a good idea what else should I do?

6. Andrew_bram

Andrew_bram Shark M.A.S.C Club Member

If and when you reintroduce you could put a could mirrors up and see if that helps with the agression.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

MuralReef likes this.
  7. halmus

halmus Prawn Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

Just random idea, but do you think it would help making a larger acclimation box to move the tang into down the road? Give the other tangs the idea that the tang has the “right” to be in the tank?

I don’t understand tang psychology. One of mine bullied a CBB I just put in the tank. I guess he didn’t like the fact that the copperband is prettier. (Dirtbag Tang has been demoted to coral QT) That will show him.

Another idea, have you considered getting a bigger tank? Clearly not enough space for everyone there. :)

MuralReef and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  8. MuralReef

We’ll see how he does in the smaller one first. If I don’t think he’ll be able to cut in the tank I may bring him home until he gets bigger and bring him back to school once he’s big and fat.

If I get a bigger tank they may need to promote me to curator!

9. MuralReef

I think that things are going well. Right now I have 3 pairs of fish breeding. My clowns are producing eggs consistently. I have cardinalfish fry in the sump. I suspected that my yellow tail damsels were also getting ready to spawn which they did the other day and have a huge clutch of eggs!

10. MuralReef

Oh and all of the corals that I have introduced including a bunch from Falcon 555 that he donated the other day are all doing well. SPS is showing good signs of growth and LPS all have great polyp extension.

11. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Those yellow tails will have eggs all of the time. I actually got rid of mine because they laid in acros. How did the acclimation box work for the tang?

12. MuralReef

Right now they’re laying in a cave that was created by the dead Idaho grape skeleton. So hopefully they continue to like that spot.
    As for the box so far so good. He is now eating like a pig and nobody can bother him. I don’t know that I’ll be able to release him into that tank though. I just hate to have to try to catch a healthy tang out of another tank when it gets too big.

13. MuralReef

So I got lucky. I added a few clowns to the tank with the existing clowns and one decided to jump out. I found it in the sump!

SkyShark likes this.
  14. MuralReef

More baby cardinals! We saw 4 in two separate pairs. They are both hanging with the RBTA's.

15. MuralReef

[​IMG][​IMG]Keep in mind that clown is tiny only about 1”!

SynDen and TheRealChrisBrown like this.
  16. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Nice one of my pairs is about to release, I am going to start having to remove some in the near future, think I am up to 7 now

17. MuralReef

neil82 and Haddonisreef like this.
  18. SkyShark

SkyShark Tuna Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

That’s awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

19. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Cute little guys.

20. MuralReef

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    A couple of new additions settled in nicely!

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado