1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Aurora Quest 450 Gallon Classroom Tank

Discussion in 'Tank Builds' started by MuralReef, Jun 15, 2018.

1. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

I just picked up some nice 400 watt PFOs that I’m going to put on the big tank and I plan to use the old 250 watt halide fixture on a reverse cycle to grow the mangroves.

Sent from my iPhone using MASC - Marine Aquarium Society of Colorado

2. halmus

halmus Cuttle Fish Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C Secretary

Love the mangrove tanks! Did you find a good commercial source for mangroves or is this a side deal with Julian?

Eventually want to rework my fuge and make it a dedicated mangrove tank since I can’t grow cheato to save my life. The few mangroves I had did well until my unidentified monster crab dug up their roots.

3. MuralReef

MuralReef Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. MASC Vice-President

I am going to reach out to Julian this summer and hopefully he can send me some nice trees. If that doesn’t work out I will probably turn to eBay or reach out to some folks in FL.

Dr.DiSilicate likes this.
  4. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Let me know for sure! I’ll be in.

JuanGutz and MuralReef like this.
  5. MuralReef

Pics[​IMG]

Cake_Boss and Dr.DiSilicate like this.
  6. MuralReef

More[​IMG]

Cake_Boss and JuanGutz like this.
  7. MuralReef

More[​IMG]

Cake_Boss likes this.
  8. MuralReef

Same torch three different lenses.

9. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

10. Dr.DiSilicate

Dr.DiSilicate Kraken Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

neil82 likes this.
  11. JuanGutz

JuanGutz Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

MuralReef likes this.
  12. MuralReef

Had no idea either. I guess I'll just have to get a lot of them!

13. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Well ya, especially when they are just pods, they have a pretty negligible impact. The bigger they grow the more impact, but takes a considerable amount of time to get them there.

14. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I will probably need to buy some more mangroves since I think the fire killed mine, at least the tops are dead, may give it another week or 2 to see if they sprout more leaves sometimes they do.

15. MuralReef

Don't know if you read the article above, but it said if they lose all of their leaves to put them in tap water under a good light source and they should sprout leaves again. Might even try putting them outside or in direct sunlight.

JuanGutz likes this.
  16. scchase

scchase Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

I read it, the key though is that the stem isn't damaged, in my case everything above the water was torched, sometimes they will grow a new stem but not always.

17. MuralReef

Let’s hope he plays nice![​IMG][​IMG]

18. MuralReef

This guy is pretty cool too![​IMG][​IMG]

19. SynDen

SynDen Shark Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. M.A.S.C President M.A.S.C Webmaster

Nice shots. Good looking fish!

MuralReef likes this.
  20. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Bleenies have tons of personality!

MuralReef likes this.