Balz3352's 'Convinced Her' Basement Sump/Fish Room

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;642989 said:
Nice work. You managed to get all of those holes in place without tapping into the HVAC. I bet that took a lot of measuring and re-measuring.
Luckily the pipes just share the space with the hvac there isnt a vent there or else I may have had to do that. It did take some angling hence why I used 45s instead of 90s so I could angle the pieces also. If that made sense.

halmus

Registered Users
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
I'm no structural engineer but I think I'd be reinforcing the floor joists as well if I was putting a big tank upstairs.

With the beams exposed like that, you could always snap a chalk line currently with the tank empty upstairs. Then, you'd have a straight reference line to monitor for any potential sag over time. But that's probably not necessary. It's just a random thought that ran through my head.

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
halmus;644649 said:
I'm no structural engineer but I think I'd be reinforcing the floor joists as well if I was putting a big tank upstairs.

With the beams exposed like that, you could always snap a chalk line currently with the tank empty upstairs. Then, you'd have a straight reference line to monitor for any potential sag over time. But that's probably not necessary. It's just a random thought that ran through my head.
That's what Im thinking with beams exposed why not reinforce. So that pic is a pair of 2x8s that I married together they run along the front of the tank. Back of the tank is about foot to 2 away from steel i beam for structure of the house. Don't think I need to reinforce that side ;)

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Looks good man! Good job on the silicone in the tank too. What silicone did you use? I just started ripping all the silicone out of my 180. What a mess

Balz3352

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Legonch;644655 said:
Looks good man! Good job on the silicone in the tank too. What silicone did you use? I just started ripping all the silicone out of my 180. What a mess
Its a pita isn't it!! Used rtv108. My idea and reasoning is that rtv is not technically a silicone which just seals but really is an adhesive to help keep the tank together.

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
RTV 108 is some good stuff! Super sticky....doesnt flow like silicone. Stinks bad. But works great for aquariums I think. Getting all the old silicone off is horrible. Whered you get the RTV? I picked mine up at grainger in foco

Legonch

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
powdercoated? whats it sitting on? Reason im asking is Im welding up a stand for a 180 in a month or so......getting it powder coated and will have it on hardwood like your setup

Andrew_bram

Tiger Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I know it is frustrating I can honestly tell you this I don't know if your funds allow but buying a brand-new tank was well worth it's weight in gold to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk