bangai cardinals

does anyone know if it is an issue adding more cardinals after one is already in the tank. I was told not to do it with chromis even though I wouldn't mind making my school bigger.

It won't be as much as a problem as it would with other fish. They're not as territorial and are already schooling fish. I've known several people who have added both Pajama and Bangaii Cardinals to an existing school or single fish without issue.

Haddonisreef;166601 said:
As long as you have male and female! There won't be a problwm
+1 if not when they mature they will not tolerate the opposite sex. From what I understand it is possible to sex mature adults but until then it's a crapshoot.

When they mature the jawline of the male has a more boxlike form as he carries they eggs. I have seen pics of the difference on another forum, it is subtle but noticeable. Don't have the link handy, but maybe try googling it?

Unfortunately they are not. They can/do when they are adolescent but once they hit maturity they will not tolerate opposite sex. One strategy to get a pair is to get 3-4 juveniles and then keep an eye on them as they mature and remove one of the two fish that are showing signs of aggression. Until you have a pair. If the fish you have is mature he/ will probably tell you fairly immediately if the fish you add is acceptable. Just have a new home lined up for the fish if it is not compatible.

:) disclaimer. I do not have 1st hand experience. They are on my stock list and I have read a lot about their behavior/breeding. I have read far too many threads on different forums posted by people who got the as a school and now only have one or two because of fighting. I have never read a thread where a successful school was kept.

I guess there are more variables than just adding an additional fish. I certainly agree that once two BC have become a breeding pair, they will be more aggressive and less tolerant of any other fish. After the male is mouth brooding, and when the female is rearing fry, they will nip at any other fish, BC or not, that come too close. In a larger tank when they are not breeding, they will school without incident. You can also start with a few fish and after you see who pairs up then remove the others. That way you get to enjoy the "school" of them until breeding begins. As far as determining sexes, this is fairly clear and might help:
"On first observation these fish do not appear outwardly sexually dimorphic. However my long-term observations suggest that adult males have a larger, longer "banner" fin (second dorsal fin), which extends past the tip of the caudal fin (tail fin). Additionally, males have a different body shape than the larger, round-bodied females (fig.1). The males have a more V-like front end, with a slightly thicker lower jaw and a squatty body (fig. 2). These observations may also explain why my second BC was terrorized, it was probably another male, while the third BC was a female."
Allen, G.R., and R.C. Steene., Notes on the behavior of the Indonesian Cardinalfish (Apogonidae) Pteragon kauderni koumans, Revue Francaise d' Aquariologie. 22: p. 7-9,1995 .Fenner, R., A diversity of Aquatic Life: Cardinalfish, Family Apogonidae. SeaScope(Aquarium Systems). 13: p. 3,1996 .
Michael, S., The Banggai Cardinalfish. Aquarium Fish Magazine. 8(8): p. 86-87,1996 .
Here's another good link, beyond teh above mentioned references.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/Cardinalfish/Bangaii.php