Bangaii Cardinal raising/breeding tips

Egg rearing setup?? So my male Bangaii is carying a wad of eggs in his mouth. I put him in my larger tank with less agressive fish in hopes that they would breed again. Sure enought they did now I am waiting for my True Percs to do the same. In the meantime any tips on raising these little guys. I think I am going to net the Bangaii and remove the eggs. Anygood tips on a DIY egg rearing setups. I have read a couple blogs and just wanted your guys thoughts on this?

little_fish

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
You should let them hatch the eggs on their own, i think you will have far more success that way.

As for feeding the fry, ill let someone more knowledgeable than me chime in on that one. But the easiest way i have seen to hold the babies is an in tank box with holes for water flow. Then you make them a fake urchin using a ball with zip ties coming off it. In the wild the babies will school in long spin urchins for protection.

If you check out the captive propagation section on this site there are several threads on rearing these guys.

[attachment=59631:name]So here is a picture of the Bangaii Cardinal eggs I counted 29 little eggs. Thats one fertile little Bangaii :) I decided to catch him and put them in a small 2 gallon aquarium my daughter had and hang it in My 180 drilled a whole throught tank and put a power head on outside to give good flow.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will take one of the fish when they hatch if you don't want them.

Was gonna use them to trade for frags or other fish. If you want to do that? I'll give you the best one though since you DBTC me a frag a while back and you can give me a runt of a coral you dont want. Probably be 3-4 months down the road though. We will see how many actually survive and all that.

Zooid

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Those eggs should be tumbled since you stripped them early otherwise bacteria will take hold and kill them all.
I've heard that brine shrimp hatcheries work well to tumble the eggs. You'll need a brine shrimp hatchery anyway
because the fry will eat newly hatched baby brine shrimp.

Yeah I made a tumbler out of a 1 gallon minitank and a pump. It hangs in my 180 aquarium I read tumbling with waterflow is better than air flow. I am pretty sure he ate the last batch so thought I would try this. Next batch I might put him in a seperat 20g. We will see if this works.