Basic Filtration

Ikan60

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
I have some very basic questions: Starting with a non RR 120 Gallon tank. Can't drill it because it's tempered glass. Want to get the tank started cycling. What are the best filtration options?

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Best bacteria supplements.... Microbe-Lift (Special Blend and Nite-Out). These are the best bacteria starters around. If you want to cycle fast this is the product that will get it done.

V
GWA

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
Is the whole tank tempered? Many of the newer tanks the bottom is tempered but the sides are not.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
MuralReef;296064 said:
Is the whole tank tempered? Many of the newer tanks the bottom is tempered but the sides are not.
True... you may be able to drill the back or side of the aquarium.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I would figure out if the back is tempered and if not drill it for a bean overflow and do a refugium setup.

As for filtration, liverock and patience is going to be your best filter :)

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
What brand is it? If it is a standard brand, like All-Glass, then it has a tempered bottom only.

FWIW - i like back drilled tanks the best, if there is room behind the stand for an external durso... there is no huge overflow in the tank. You just end up with an elbow in the top corner of the tank and that is all. You can use a 1.5 or 2" drain and drain like 10K gallons per hour silently without multiple lines with space requirements.

Internal side:

External side, although you can use shorty bulkhead and a T instead of this sweeping elbow for about a 4" rear clearance:

Ikan60

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks so much for the replies. Very helpful! Husband is very worried about a wet dry because he built one years ago and flooded his apartment. He is advocating for various forms of canister or hob filtration. This will be a fish only tank. Are there any concerns about using a canister filter like a fluval fx5 for a fish only tank?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Ikan60;296195 said:
Thanks so much for the replies. Very helpful! Husband is very worried about a wet dry because he built one years ago and flooded his apartment. He is advocating for various forms of canister or hob filtration. This will be a fish only tank. Are there any concerns about using a canister filter like a fluval fx5 for a fish only tank?
We recently set up a fresh water tank tried 4 canisters 2 of which where new all leaked. Now I have an overflow and a sump lol

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Tapatalk

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are up North in FOCO stop by and I can make you a deal on a new FX5, I have two that need to go. Let us know.

V
GWA

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
IMO if you can drill the tank do a refugium setup. IMO wetdrys don't export enough nutrients to sustain a FOWLR tank.

But if you can't drill it I would take Vince up on the deals for the 2 FX5's. Just make sure your keep up on your water changes.

Ikan60

Turbo Snail
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks so much for all the replies! I think we're convinced we need to try drilling the tank (I hope). If not, we'll be up to buy those two canisters! Thanks for all the great advice!

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
Drilling the tank and using a sump really is the better option. Canisters leak. I dunno why they can't seem to build them to seal properly, but they just don't. They're a great idea that just doesn't work well.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
A FOWLR tank is a really good place to use elemental carbon to keep N and P in check - I am not a fan of using it in reefs. If I was doing FOWLR again, I would have a drilled tank, large sump, over sized skimmer (or two), few heaters and a return pump... and a bag of sugar or bottle of vodka.

Cainsters have been leaky for a long time. Even the good ones are closing away from tearing a O ring.

opakapaka

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
When sizing a sump/wet dry you need to make sure that when you have a power outage that the water draining from the tank does not overflow in the sump, don't forget to include the water in a skimmer also. Many have also created a siphon break in their return lines in order to reduce the amount of water draining into their sumps.

Ikan60;296195 said:

BryanF

Butterfly Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another precaution you can take with regards to flooding is a check valve in the return line. They only let water flow one direction.

I've had several reef ready and non reef ready tanks and will never have a non drilled tank again. If you can confirm the back isn't tempered than drill it! You won't regret it.