Berghia Nudibranchs anyone

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thinking of ordering some myself from Reeftown. Not sure if there is a discount but they have a 20% off sale now. Going for 15-20 for my tank. Let me know if anyone else wants in and I'll
see what I can get for discounts if we get over 100. Thinking mediums are the way to go.

zombie

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
You are going to seriously drop $300 on nudis that will die as soon as your aptasia is gone. Unless you have a serious aptasia problem in a HUGE tank, all you need is a few. They are veratious eaters and will starve if they havent eaten in a week. I have heard that rule of thumb is 4 per 100 gallons for a light infestation and 8 per 100 gallons for a very heavy infestation.

CRW Reef

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
ex-officio
Berghia Nudibranchs anyone

I'm pretty sure Cris Capp suggests you go big on numbers or go home - suggesting something like 10 minimum. But alas yea your 150 DT gallon tank will take 15-20 easy. Esp if you want them to breed and super devour :) Could keep a breeding rotation with the new 60g frag flat and always have some to keep in the DT.

Last edited by a moderator:

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
zombie;342876 said:
You are going to seriously drop $300 on nudis that will die as soon as your aptasia is gone. Unless you have a serious aptasia problem in a HUGE tank, all you need is a few. They are veratious eaters and will starve if they havent eaten in a week. I have heard that rule of thumb is 4 per 100 gallons for a light infestation and 8 per 100 gallons for a very heavy infestation.
I guess you have to weigh the cost vs the benefit. I had a group of pepermint shrimp that did a great job of keeping them in check until my pencil wrasse took them all out. Got rid of him and added new ones but they aren't doing the job. So I wait and treat the new ones that decide to spring up in great places like just under an expensive SPS or right in the middle of an acid reflux colony. But Aptaisia X works for crap and for each one you treat there are 10 more hiding somewhere in your rocks. If their sting didn't immediately kill whatever they are close too I wouldn't mind but it does so I do. I don't think they'll starve as I have a nice colony growing in my sump and 30-40 more in my overflow.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
4 or 5 will do a good job and become 100 in no time... if nothing eats them. Starfish, fish, hermits and just about anything can get to them and then you might wish that you had a few dozen. They are quite hardy if left alone, but they are easy and tasty targets.

scchase

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
B.O.D. Member-at-Large
Why can't they be as hardy as the Montipora and Zoa eating ones, to only dream

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
They probably are if they stay hidden in the coral. The MEN are quite a nice treat too, if predators can find them and get to them.

I had them completely destroy a full tank of aips in no time... probably ended up with 150 of them. If I put the "clean" rocks back in the tank, the starfish and larger hermits would come over and tear the berghia apart - literally - in about 20 minutes.

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I spoke with the guy over at Reeftown and they don't see the sale going away for a while so I'll keep this open for a bit. The come in containers of 20 so we'll need to split them ourselves or pay $7 extra per lower amount. Seems easier to split them. Shipping will be free so let me know. I'll start collecting money or whatever once we have a firm date.