Biocube filtration advice?

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
Okay, so im looking for some advice. Im thinking about changing out the stock filtration in my biocube which is bioballs to a media rack and fuge from INTANK http://shop.mediabaskets.com/BioCube-29-Package-Deal-BC29-Bundle.htm. I am thinking that if I did this that I would run filter floss in the top section of the media rack, purigen in the middle rack and chemipure elite in the bottom rack. I would then have some cheto in the fuge section. I am also considering upgrading my Skimmer to the hydor Slim Skim Nano if it will fit in the first chamber of my biocube since I currently have the cheap oceanic biocube skimmer. Anyway I am looking for advice about whether or not this is a good idea. I basically have 3 options, I can get the skimmer, media rack and fuge, I can get the skimmer and leave the bioballs, or I can just leave the tank alone "lol". Any thoughts as to whether I would gain anything by changing out the bioballs? Also if I get the media rack, fuge and skimmer would this be sufficient filtration for my tank? (below is the info for my tank). So I guess i'm mainly asking what would you guys do, also if there is anyone out there that has a biocube with this change I would love to hear what your experiences with this has been.

Tank info:
-Biocube 29
-running all LED lights(4 ecoxotic panorama led modules)
-3 koralia nano pumps in addition to the stock return pump
-roughly 27-30 pounds of live rock, with 1/2 inch sand bed "the sand is for looks only"
-lots of coral- SPS,LPS, and a few softies
-clown fish, bar goby, dragon pipefish and eventually 1 more fish
-oceanic biocube protein skimmer

Heffe01

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
I modified the back of mine using the exsisting materials from the stock filtration and made a fuge and filter floss holder. But that was with an old biocube. Not sure if they have changed the filtration design or not.

I took out the bio balls and put in a cpr skimmer. Took out the first chamber false floor and put my heater and another return pump for more flow. I have 3 panorama leds, one of each what colors do you have and what order? how do you like them?

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Well the media rack is pretty awesome I have one and will never return to stock filtration again

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
bigsittingrock, I have 1 all blue and 3 of the white and blue. the order from the back of the tank to the front is, white and blue, blue, white and blue, white and blue. I love my lights. I will never go back to PC lol. I was thinking of taking out the floor in chamber 1 and trying to fit my skimmer in there.

Well the media rack is pretty awesome I have one and will never return to stock filtration again
is yours in a biocube? and when you started using it did you notice any major improvements in your tank, and what do you use in yours?

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I removed my bioballs and turned that center part into a rug. The first chamber I pulled out that little tab so I could get to all the poop that accumulates in the bottom of the first chamber. And now I use marineland filters in place of the bio cube ones. For my media I just use bags. On and I added to the filtration but would need to take a picture, sort of hard to explain. Add I just added a skimmer yesterday thanks to another fellow reefer.

All my mods to the back cost me a few bucks. I got a small tray at target to put my live rock in and I added some sand I got from petco.

the_fish_man

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Yes I have a biocube. I have the same filtration in it that you said you would put in it by I also have some phosphate remover chemical in it as my phosphate is high. When I first put it in and took out the stock filter I noticed better water quality and a cleaner tank.

KhensuRa

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you going to the swap on Saturday? If so I kinda live on the way and you can stop by and check out how I have my set up. Spaced out taking pics for you as I just got back from school a little bit ago.

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
Unfortunately I dont think that I will be able to go to the swap but I wont know for sure until the day before :( I appreciate the offer to stop by and check it out and if I am able to go I will probably take you up on that!

Jfaiii

Butterfly Fish
just that my ph had gotten screwed up on me without me knowing. that and now I have alot more corals so I was thinking a little better filtration may be in order.