MH lighting scheme for the 450

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
So I recently had a mishap with one of my 250 watt fixtures on the 450 but I have been thinking about redoing the lighting anyway. I was running 4-250 watt Phoenixes on the front and back of the tank and 2-400 watt Radiums over the center. I could continue with this scheme, but I also have 3-400 watt Radiums and 2-250 watt Hamilton 20000K mogul base fixtures laying around that I could use. For those that don't know the tank is 4'x6' and is 30" deep. Let me know what you think.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
This was the cord to the fixture that stopped working. I guess it got a little hot!

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Are you running the 250s on m80 ballasts? If so, then they are almost the same output as a 400w Radium on a regular ballast. This is why I do not run 400w stuff... the HQI is nearly the same with less power. I also find the phoenix to be a bit cooler than 400w Radium.

I know that you probably do not pay for the power, but somebody has to... :) I imagine that the heat is 100% yours to deal with.

Either is going to work and you cannot really go wrong with whatever you choose.

Here are some graphs that I saved... 250w Radium on m80 is 85 ppfd, 400w is 93. Phoenix 14k on m80 is 109, so better than both.

MuralReef

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
MASC Vice-President
The heat is a problem! During the warmer months the classroom does get pretty warm and the temp can be a bit to manage. I am not sure what ballast the Aqua Medic fixture runs, but the reflectors aren't great so they are visually not as bright as the front two 250's. The front two have been run on adjustable ballasts that are over driven. I just threw on one of the 400 watt fixtures for a temporary fix and even though it is a quality reflector it doesn't seem as bright.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Our eyes can be deceiving... or at least mine can be. I have an Apogee 510 PAR meter if you ever want to borrow it.

Most AquaMedic stuff was really good and had real HQI m80 ballasts. They were some of the best lights until they lost their minds and stopped making them - I guess that Hamilton is happy. :) They are probably m80 if they are double ended.

Phoenix on m80 is as powerful and efficient as you can get with any type of light - the outperform a pair of xr30 Radions with output at the same wattage. They also stay cool for a metal halide - kinda funny, huh? No hurry... it is not going to be hot for a while yet.