Black ick

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
So let's start off by saying that this isn't my fish or set up at all! I was wondering if this yellow tang has black ick or is that even a thing? I remember on another forum that someone mentioned it but can't really recall. A few yellows I saw had these black spots on them and were really malnourished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmougey

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Black Spot disease isn't like Ich that many of us think about, instead it's a flatworm (trematode) infestation. The difficult piece is that elimination in the tank is difficult as these parasites can live for several weeks without a host. Suggested treatments include:
- Fresh water dip
- Formalin (Paraguard) as a dip or for use in the tank
- PraziPro as a dip or use in a tank

As one would expect, when treating a fish in a reef (or invert) tank it's best to use a hospital tank for the effected fish; treating the tank with inverts is not suggested. If you are dealing with a fish only tank, then dosing the display is acceptable.

If your plan is to leave the tank fallow, plan on a 10-12 week window before reintroducing fish.

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Good to know. These were at a LFS

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
There isn't anybody who want to hear this, but the chances are not that good for the fish that is so malnourished. That looks like a fish that is only fed nori or is not fed at all - of course, neither is good for tangs. Sorry.

Most healthy fish can fight off the flatworm, but it can still exist in the tank. This one probably won't. I would stay away...

Irishman

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
I'm definitely not going to get fish from them. Just was curious if my questioning was right about "black ick"