bleached coral questions

I got a new frag of ponape birdsnest and noticed flatworms on it before I put it in my tank so I did a fresh water dip to get rid of them. The worms are gone but apparently I did something wrong because I also made the coral bleach. It's now a creamy white color with pinkish tips. How long does it take for a coral to recover from bleaching, assuming that it will recover, and does spot feeding it phyto help?

Bajamike

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
brian5280;258456 said:
I got a new frag of ponape birdsnest and noticed flatworms on it before I put it in my tank so I did a fresh water dip to get rid of them. The worms are gone but apparently I did something wrong because I also made the coral bleach. It's now a creamy white color with pinkish tips. How long does it take for a coral to recover from bleaching, assuming that it will recover, and does spot feeding it phyto help?
Fresh water dips IME never go well for SPS. But if it lives it can take weeks or months to color back up.

Haulin Oates

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Coral rx, Bayer advanced lawn spray, Ambrosio has a new dip he's trying out... There are several options.
Generally freshwater dips are only for fish, although I have freshwater dipped coral with some success... It's extremely hard on SPS even if done for a minute. I have 2 pieces that are still bleached 2 weeks after being freshwater dipped, but they do have polyp extension, so they are still alive

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Coral Rx works pretty well. The best thing, even though it is too late, is to inspect the corals and systems before you get frags. Even if one slips by after a dip, it can be a disaster.

If you are going to get into SPS, then you might consider a wrasse to eat any surviving flatworms that might get past a dip.

Phyto feeding won't help.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
jda123;258554 said:
Coral Rx works pretty well. The best thing, even though it is too late, is to inspect the corals and systems before you get frags. Even if one slips by after a dip, it can be a disaster.

If you are going to get into SPS, then you might consider a wrasse to eat any surviving flatworms that might get past a dip.

Phyto feeding won't help.

+10 to wrasses :p

I guess this explains why I've never had a problem with flatworms before, my last aquarium had a yellow coris and a 4 line. I didn't mind having those fish in a 65g but I'm not sure they would be very happy in the 28g I've got now.