1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. If you still have issues then email us at board@marinecolorado.org Thanks
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Site Upgrade complete! A new version of the forum software has been uploaded. Please let us know if you have any issues. Thanks

Blue Clove Polyps

Discussion in 'Coral' started by TheRealChrisBrown, Feb 5, 2018.

1. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

F6AF652D-ED43-4FFA-ADA9-BB71A07DE2E5.jpeg I have encountered blue clove polyps in my reef for the first time. They are hitchhikers and have been steadily gaining population numbers. This is a 3in x 5in patch on one rock. They started on the colony next to current location.

What should I do? They are pictured on the largest rock in my tank. If I pulled it and broke off the infected area (hammer/chisel) would that even work? If I leave them will they overrun everything? They are driving out the king Midas zoas on this rock which has me worried.

2. Balz3352

Balz3352 Marlin M.A.S.C Club Member

They are a b to get rid of . Id remove all now with some extra to spare just in case

3. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Gonzo had acid washed his rock and they still made it! Avoid like the plague!!

Balz3352 likes this.
  4. JZinCO

JZinCO Copepod M.A.S.C Club Member

Oh that's too bad. II'm kinda jealous but then again I like them. They play nice with LPS and SPS from tanks I have personally seen, but I can see how you might not want them taking up real estate that might otherwise be ground for zoas.
    I dunno, when conditions are right for them, they are right. Drastic measures might be necessary. The only other option is to wait and see who the better colonizer is. I wouldn't think that smothering them with epoxy would do anything but keep them at bay. Maybe something like squirting limewater could work but you'd probably harm their neighbors. And there is a nudibranch that preys on them but I don' think it is easy to find in the trade.

5. Balz3352

I tried to aptasia x the last ones i had in my frag tank Didnt do squat. They also will over grow sps. FinaFin threw the frag away that waswthe source of them and cut the egg crate and tosses it. Now I have a hole in my egg crate but better than cloves

6. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

JZ - If I have luck with the hammer and chisel you can have them....

Some of the r2r posts say they grow like a mat and you can pick the edge with a razor blade and pull them all off. Others say epoxy over the top of it. I might smash it like the flippin Hulk then superglue or epoxy any remains.

7. JZinCO

I'm not saying they can't, but did you observe that they were overgrowing sps? I've watched a tank over time the owner's of Alpine Koi and seen a couple others in person. I've always noticed they fill in the gaps but lose against a stinging coral every time.
    That said, when it comes to reef tanks, there are always experiences to counter someone else's. I would be concerned when it comes to zoas though because it's a scramble to occupy space.

Yeah I would love a chunk. I have a chisel and punch set as well as a cut off wheel if you want company...

8. JZinCO

Razor blade might be dicey. The polyps are small and if a few go floating around..

9. asn-naso

asn-naso Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

Blow torch, then epoxy over it.

10. TheRealChrisBrown

I like your style! I'm not worried about losing many of the Midas Gold zoas....but the pink zippers next to them are some of my favorites. I don't know how precise I could be with a torch. Will they survive just regular epoxying over do you think?

11. Balz3352

If you lose your zippers illI give you a frag

Off The Deep End likes this.
  12. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

Just use Flucanazole, should nuke it for you.

13. TheRealChrisBrown

I've heard that will take out my GSP which I actually like....?

14. Balz3352

Thought fluconazole was for bryopsis ....

15. scchase

scchase Marlin Staff Member M.A.S.C Club Member M.A.S.C. B.O.D. B.O.D. Member-at-Large

It is also takes out gsp, clove polyps and xenia

16. JZinCO

Wow. I'm not using Fluc haha! It's been sitting in my fish room for 6 mo just in case I need it. have quite a bit if you want to try it.

17. scchase

Just set up a simple tank for any that you want to keep, should be easy for GSP, Xenia, etc to save it for a few weeks for the medication to work in the display then filter it out with carbon and away you go.

18. JZinCO

Good advice for someone who has algae problems

edit: I think wires got crossed. Are we talking Fluc or Fenben?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  19. Haddonisreef

Haddonisreef Kraken M.A.S.C Club Member

Funny there the article on reef builders on these lil ba$$tards

Cherub likes this.
  20. TheRealChrisBrown

Thanks for the info Charlie, here is the article for those interested: https://reefbuilders.com/2018/02/06/stop-adding-blue-polyps-to-your-reef-tank/

It should be noted that I've never purchased this as a frag, this was a hitchhiker on something. I've seen the polyps in this spot for about 8 months...I just didn't realize exactly what I was dealing with.

They really didn't give many concrete solutions to the problem, just a pic of my worst nightmare:

sarcothelia-blue-polyp.jpg