Brittle starfish eat fish????!!

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
I bought a leopord wrasse the other day and all was well, he was eating and swimming around.
today I haven't seen him at all.
I had no idea what happened to him. I did notice my big brittle star in the rock the wrasse slept under in the morning.
Since he's the only possible suspect I'm wondering do these starfish eat fish??? He's about 8" arm length a red brittle star

303travism

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member

I've heard of the green brittle stars eating fish so I guess it's possible red ones could also.

MartinsReef

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Brittle starfish eat fish????!!

Mine would! I feed it a full shrimp every third day so he would not go after fish.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

joeMASC

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member

I have four very large brown/red ones and I've never seen them take a fish. The green ones are known to grab fish.

Fitz19d

Bat Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
Sure he's not just buried? My Melanarus I panicked not seeing him first night. Since learned he burries himself. Then a couple days ago had a day where he didnt seem to want to come out. Also feared starfish food, but found him after poking about in the sand a bit. Just apparently a late riser sometimes.

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Fitz19d;225756 said:
Sure he's not just buried? My Melanarus I panicked not seeing him first night. Since learned he burries himself. Then a couple days ago had a day where he didnt seem to want to come out. Also feared starfish food, but found him after poking about in the sand a bit. Just apparently a late riser sometimes.
I hope hes a late Riser!!! I didnt see him all day yesterday. ( I bought him friday)
I hope he comes out today, my lights turn on at 2

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
Haddonisreef;225764 said:
Leopards sleep in the sand, I have had them hide for days when introduced to a new system. Wait it out hope it comes out for ya!
I saw him dig into the sand, hopefully he will come out soon! Im going go be bummed to lose 50$ and lose my favorite fish if he doesnt appear

Cake_Boss

Blue Whale
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Brittle starfish eat fish????!!

I had a red coris hide in the sand for 3 weeks, he was starved when he came out. You might want to be proactive and find him, then separate him to give him time to acclimate to your schedule.

Justin144

Butterfly Fish
H2O_intolerant;226017 said:
I had a red coris hide in the sand for 3 weeks, he was starved when he came out. You might want to be proactive and find him, then separate him to give him time to acclimate to your schedule.
I tried digging where he went in the sand and no luck.. Feel like it was the starfish, just lost another chromis over night. Seems like I'm losing a small fish each night now

Dbarnes

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member

Justin144;226024 said:
I tried digging where he went in the sand and no luck.. Feel like it was the starfish, just lost another chromis over night. Seems like I'm losing a small fish each night now
Do you have a carpet nem?

09bumblebee

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I haven't seen my leopard since Friday not sure where he is. He's fat and healthy and eats like crazy. :-(