bulkheads

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am in need of a couple of bulkheads. I haven't drilled holes yet so I won't be too picky on size. As far as I know these aren't things you can buy at home depot. If they are then nevermind lol. If you have a couple let me know I will buy them as long as they're inline with online prices.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you are using 1" bulkhead you will drill 1 3/4" hole, take your time when drilling acrylic you do not want to heat up the bit and melt the acrylic.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;93422 said:
If you are using 1" bulkhead you will drill 1 3/4" hole, take your time when drilling acrylic you do not want to heat up the bit and melt the acrylic.
sweet thanks, I have no idea what I'm doing. I planned on watching a couple of youtube videos lol

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
If you make the drive to wickeds to get bulkheads come a few more miles and i can help you drill it, i already have the bit.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;93429 said:
If you make the drive to wickeds to get bulkheads come a few more miles and i can help you drill it, i already have the bit.
Wow really? That would be awesome. Yeah hopefully wicked finds those

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Denvercherub;93430 said:
Wow really? That would be awesome. Yeah hopefully wicked finds those
Sure, the last one i drilled was my sump and it was still under the tank. I think if i could do that one yours will be a piece of cake! I have a 1" bulkhead too but i dont know if its the style you want/need, it has the threads on the inside of the bulkhead.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;93455 said:
Sure, the last one i drilled was my sump and it was still under the tank. I think if i could do that one yours will be a piece of cake! I have a 1" bulkhead too but i dont know if its the style you want/need, it has the threads on the inside of the bulkhead.
Well cool thanks. If you have experience drilling I would be much better off coming to you. As far as bulk head styles I had no idea there were choices LOL! I just want water to go from inside the tank to the other side and be able to attach a hose to the end to drain or return to/from the sump.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I will have to look tomorrow to see for sure which one i have, one you can just push a piece of 1" pvc into, the other (threaded inner) you must thread a coupler into it then push in your 1" pvc. The only diffrence i can think of is space it will stick out the back of the tank but very easy to change bulkheads if it isnt going to work with one or the other.

Cherub

Hey you
M.A.S.C Club Member
Zooid;93473 said:
EliteReef sells some bulkheads that are priced better than online.
Off The Deep End;93467 said:
I will have to look tomorrow to see for sure which one i have, one you can just push a piece of 1" pvc into, the other (threaded inner) you must thread a coupler into it then push in your 1" pvc. The only diffrence i can think of is space it will stick out the back of the tank but very easy to change bulkheads if it isnt going to work with one or the other.
I ended up buying the bulkheads at Elite today. I guess I will just try to drill it myself. That will save me a fair amount on gas lol.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
use water and drill slow no problem very easy to do

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Another critical factor with acrylic is heat generated from the bit. If the bit is less than sharp then you will have to drill very slowly (either slow bit speed or retracting the bit often). Sharp bits can be drilled quicker but you still have to retract the bit often to let the material cool down. Over heating will result in a crystalline sugar-like melting around the hole. Also try not to punch the bit through the material when you are almost through the material. This may chip the back side of the acrylic. When drilling acrylic always use a cutting fluid, water works well. A water soluble oil is what the pros use. Otherwise your drill will heat up and melt the acrylic and you'll get an oversize hole. Also use a smaller diameter drill bit to pilot drill the hole. A pilot hole will reduce the tendency of your bit to wander.

Off The Deep End

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Once you get the hole started turn the bit in the opposite direction to drill the rest, it will help.

chrislorentz

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Off The Deep End;93594 said:
Once you get the hole started turn the bit in the opposite direction to drill the rest, it will help.
I am curious what you mean here never heard of that. Most bits are designed to cut only 1 way?