Cant get my alkalinity where i want

Hello all,
So I've been having some issues getting my alkalinity where i want it. My test reads in meq/L so thats what I'm used to. Anyways. I currently only have LPS but I am trying to prepare my tank for SPS. I did some research and found that the optimum level is about 4.7 so that is where I would like to be. I have about 100 gallons water volume with light to medium stocking of zoas and acans as well as a 7 headed frogspawn and a small toadstool. I do 10 percent water changes every 2 weeks. I dose daily and I have recently been dosing 100 mL alkalinity solution every day with only very small increase? Is this typical or is something up?

As a possibly related note: My calcium is about 580 ppm and magnesium at 1580 ppm.

Smiley

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
it is typical.... i had a 55g reef that i would dose 200ml of alk a day... the frag table at the shop needs 200ml a day as well.....

DyM

Sting ray
M.A.S.C Club Member
bubbarockies;218068 said:
I did some research and found that the optimum level is about 4.7 so that is where I would like to be. I have about 100 gallons water volume
4.7 as a test result on a salifert test kit maybe, but 4.7 for alk neither KH, nor meq/L sounds right. For a mixed reef, as I have, targeting 9 KH or 3.2 works best for me... For that I put 2 tablespoons of Randy's 2 part - which is arm & hammer baking soda (ie cheap) - per day to keep my alk at 9.

I get that reading from a red sea test kit. The reef foundation pro. I was shooting to follow their guidlines which say for high growth rate it should be at 4.9, but I found elsewhere that 4.7 is good for fast growth. Thats how I came to that number.