Chili coral

marinediehard

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I am thinking about getting one of these. Wondering how difficult they are to keep healthy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
I never saw this post till now :p They are fairly easy except they are a planktonic feeder. So you need to keep plankton in the water column. You can use the store bought bottled options but over time you will see the coral fade(Things from kent marine and such).

Algae Barn's "phytofeast(I think this is their name of the product)" is a good store bought option as they are locally grown, in store bottles are refreshed on a regular basis, and are live. Shoot a PM on here to Algaebarn and talk to them on what they can do to help you out with that endeavor.

I have a lot of NPS (Non-Photosynthetic Corals) in my reef tank and I have phytoplankton on a dosing pump so every hour phyto is getting dosed into the tank.

If you decide to make the jump into a phyto rich reef, a lot of options open up for you:

Note: None of these pictures are mine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andreaehlrs

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
They also might eat cyclopeeze. I would feed different foods and see what it likes. Non photosynetic is hard because if you don't have a ton of filtration then you will get tons of algae.But then you are pretty much wasting money because your buying lots of food then the filtration Is pulling it out. But if the chili coral is the only non photosynetic Coral you will have then you should be Ok. I don't think blueberry gorgonians sun corals and feather stars would survive only on phytoplankton. If your really interested there is a non photosynthetic forum azoox.Org. Wish you luck!

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
I've also heard of people pulling a non photosynthetic coral out of the main tank each day and feeding separately. You can avoid some if the water quality issues this way, but it sounds like a lot if work to me and once a day may still not be enough feedings for it (though I've heard this can work well for sun corals).

SkyShark

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Chili coral

marinediehard;295530 said:
Sounds like I am just going to say no. Seems to be a lot of work and time.

Probably a good idea for now. Really glad to see you ask before buying!

marinediehard

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
They have a large one at D & g that could be picked up for around $20. Their last day is tomorrow morning.