Clam check up

cremer9

Butterfly Fish
Finally found a spot it liked ,does it look OK to other clam owners it closes a little
in the evening's

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
If it opens then that is the best that you can do. Clams are the ultimate false positive and most look very good up until the last day or two even when they can be suffering for months. New shell growth is the only way have a positive positive with a clam.

Fortunately, squamosa clams do not have to terribly high of requirements.

sethsolomon

Hammerhead Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
+1 to what Doug said. As long as you are seeing clean bleached white shell growth, things are going good with it. I will post some pics tonight so you can see a reference point.

I wish I knew that my first tank. Thought it was doing fine and had some white shell at first, but then it stopped growing for some reason and ended up dying.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
That first pic looks pretty blue. Could be just the photo or a dusk pic. If not, then get some daylight in there for a good portion of the day. Clams are mostly shallow water specimens and could do more with the 6.5k to 10k spectrum which is loaded with just as much blue, but also the other colors. Squamosa are pretty easy to keep. As they grow, they can demand quite a bit of the big-three - check your water and you might have to up your dosing schedule.