Clam issues...

Hey everyone,

Just got a new maxima clam the other day. My dwarf ceriths seem to be obsessed with climbing on him and I'm wondering if I need to be concerned. So far I've been brushing them off of him, but I've heard of snails eating clams. I don't want to lose this awesome clam! Any help or advice is very welcomed. Thanks!

Blindrage

Anthias
M.A.S.C Club Member
As long as the remain on the shell only, as shown in that pic, then it is fine. Heck the clam in the DT at a lfs is covered in Zoas.

If they are getting on the mantel itself and causing the clam to shut itself then it could be a problem.

jda123

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Snails, bristleworms and hermit crabs won't eat a healthy clam. If the clam dies, they will do their job - clean it up. A really hungry larger crab, like a mithrax, might nip at a clam, but they would rather eat algae and detritus.

it is pretty typical for snails to clean their shells, so don't sweat it.

It looks like a crocea clam. These are rock dwellers and would likely perfer to be in the rocks up as close to the light as possible.

Thanks guys! According to my LFS this is a maxima clam. I moved him and his little rock up a little. Hopefully he likes his new spot. And so far the snails have just been on the shell, not the mantle. Thanks again!

He's doing great! I think he really likes the new spot higher in the tank. And my son named him taco head, so...that's good too. ;D