Clams with sand sifters

fiji4118

Tang
M.A.S.C Club Member
Hey all,

Anyone keep a clam with a diamond goby or similar? I would assume this would be a bad idea? Maybe put them on a shelf above the sand bed?

tomtom2245

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I had a squamosa and a diamond goby in the same tank and they did just fine. The clam was a decent sized one, ~8in, and located on the sand bed.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
I have a maxima and engineer goby. The engineer buries corals sometimes but never buried the clam when I had it on the sand, although I did move it up a bit to a shelf so it got better light but thats the only reason i moved it

FinsUp

According to my watch, the time is now.
M.A.S.C Club Member
We had no trouble with sand sifters and clams, but the clams were med-large ones. Not sure if the smallest ones could get the sand off if they got dumped on. And IME, small clams are hard to keep anyway.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Haha, my engineer actually came from Cindy and Mike's tank :) but I bought my clam as a baby 1inch lil thing and it always managed to shed or move any sand away from its self if it didnt like it, but ya bigger clams would have to do that less I think.

SynDen

Administrator
Staff member
M.A.S.C Club Member
M.A.S.C. B.O.D.
M.A.S.C President
M.A.S.C Webmaster
Elvis is doing great, one of my favorite fish. He's quite a character and (as my wife likes to say) always making home improvements.

ayaws

Angel Fish
M.A.S.C Club Member
I wouldn't worry about it much. I have one very stupid hermit crab that occasionally falls on my two clams. They close on it for a second and then shoot it right out. Kind of like a dumb hermit trampoline.

At this point I'm pretty close to moving the stupid hermit crab to the refugium. If I catch him doing it again, he's OUT!