Clams

Am reading...

View attachment 10570

I have changed about 64 gallons in 2 days.. Haven't dipped them, although I'm not going to dip them.. And they are still gaping wide open. So, I guess we will just wait and see.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

rockys_pride;213209 said:
Lucky, I've wanted that book for years.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD
It's a great book. I'm stoked to read the entire thing. Very informative.

Thought I would give an update. Sigh.. all my large clams are dead. I had 6 clams. I only have a small crocea left that I have had for a couple of years. He looks very healthy and is not showing any signs of stress or sickness (of course we all know that doesn't mean anything when it comes to clams) I really have no idea why all my clams died but I feel horrible about it. All corals, fish, inverts etc look wonderful. I currently have a large reactor of carbon running for 3 days now. I did several large water changes and monitored my levels very closely. The last clam (my favorite) to die which was on NYE spawned for 2 days. I kept him in a separate tank while did this. Very heartbreaking stuff as I know these critters are very unique. They are my favorite in the hobbie. So, thanks everyone for your suggestions and help. I tried everything but day after day another would die. I have the 1 left. I am curious to see how he does after all this.

Thanks. It really sucks pretty bad. But what are you to do?!?!?!?!

WatercolorsGuy

Nurse Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Re: Clams

That really sucks, sorry to hear. Always sad when someone loses inhabitants...

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk HD

It would be better if I knew why, then I could try to prevent in the future. But I have no clue why this occurred and neither did anyone else. What gives!!

HondaHound;221395 said:
How's the lone clam? purchased any more?
Dead. Unfortunately they all died. It so so frustrating. The clams were the only animals/corals to die in my tank. It really sucked. I have replaced any of them. I'll wait awhile before I get back into clams. Thanks for asking.

djkms

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
Wish I saw this thread earlier. IMO it was probably pinched mantle disease:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/jf/index.php

This disease will take out every clam in your system until none are left.

Not sure why Jamie said he would never fresh water dip, this is the best approach to help cure the disease. From my understanding the protozoa cannot live without a host after a length of time. Stay clamless for 30+ days and you should be safe to add clams again.

The best dip for a clam when you first get them is to freshwater dip. The link I posted gives you tips on how to dip.

HondaHound

Goby
M.A.S.C Club Member
ive been toying with the thought of getting a crocea clam for my 29 gal cube, but everything ive read makes me a little nervous...

JuanGutz

Reef Shark
M.A.S.C Club Member
HondaHound;221477 said:
ive been toying with the thought of getting a crocea clam for my 29 gal cube, but everything ive read makes me a little nervous...
I've seen a clam flourish in a 1gal Reef yes a ONE gallon reef haha just make sure lighting calcium and water clarity is good and you should be fine I will be doing it!

2sweet

Butterfly Fish
I'm with you Honda, I know I'm not ready yet and would hate to have to watch them die
because of my inexperience.

djkms;221476 said:
Wish I saw this thread earlier. IMO it was probably pinched mantle disease:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/jf/index.php

This disease will take out every clam in your system until none are left.

Not sure why Jamie said he would never fresh water dip, this is the best approach to help cure the disease. From my understanding the protozoa cannot live without a host after a length of time. Stay clamless for 30+ days and you should be safe to add clams again.

The best dip for a clam when you first get them is to freshwater dip. The link I posted gives you tips on how to dip.
I don't think it was pinched mantle. I did fresh water dip my prized clam to see if I could save it and that didn't work. None of the clams showed even the slightest bit of that particular disease. But it's a good guess and the info provided is appreciated. I think I'll stay clamless for a while and a bunch of water changes later. Hopefully whatever killed them is out and dead and I can restock my favorite reef creature.

HondaHound;221477 said:

If you have the correct environment to support a clam, you shouldn't have any problems at all. They are not hard to keep if you have the proper settings.