1. Welcome to the shiny new site! Please have a look around and let us know how its working for you. Please note that all returning members will need to reset your passwords to login again. Click on "forgot password" to reset your password. Thanks
    Dismiss Notice

Clown breeders input wanted

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Fourthwind, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Fourthwind

Fourthwind Amphipod M.A.S.C Club Member

I have been growing out a Frostbite and a Picasso clown in hopes at trying my hand at raising fry. I have bred more freshwater species than I can count naked, but have always wanted to try salt species. Clowns being fairly commonplace are my first project. So after a year, my now "pair" have finally spawned. I am planning on letting them go a few cycles before attempting to remove the fry for raising. I am planning on a 5 gallon tank for the first couple weeks and then I have a 20 long for grow out. Initial food source will be rotifers.

Question is to all the successfully breeders is; what tips do you have for me?

I am not doing this for money, just the challenge.

Thanks in advance!

2. TheRealChrisBrown

TheRealChrisBrown Barracuda M.A.S.C Club Member

Good luck! I would love to follow along on this thread or another that you start of the process!

3. Fourthwind

Probably be a month or two before I have grow out tanks set up, cycled, and ready. In the process of taking down some of my freshwater breeder racks to put in a 90. Have to re do my flooring before I install everything as well. Having to work gets in the way you know! LOL

TheRealChrisBrown likes this.
  4. Fourthwind

Well this is spawn 3. Been every couple weeks roughly. This time they made a nest in the front so I can at least watch them. Been putting shells and frag disks in the tank trying to get them to spawn on something removable.

I have a rotifer culture going strong. Still working on my breeding rack to get my tanks ready. So much I want to do, and so little time to shove it all in.
    clownspawn3.jpg

5. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

You will need to be around on time, all the time. You will not get a day off. There are lots of good reads on this.

Are you currently raising rotifers time and time again? You will need to get good at this first - if you lose a batch, all of the fry will probably die.

6. Fourthwind

I have had a continuous rotifer batch for a few weeks now. Have a good hatchery from Reef Nutrition. Been breeding fresh water for 30 years. I understand the time it takes. I have read a bunch, but talking with someone with direct experience always helps. Thought there were some local guys around here that had been successful.

7. jda123

jda123 Tuna M.A.S.C Club Member

The only guys that I know are in it for the money, not to be helpful. You might get more help on the national board breeding forums.