Clown hosting toadstool leather

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
I recently added a small naked clown to my reef tank and he (she?) has decided to host my toadstool leather. He's being gental so far buy as he grows it worries me. Should I be getting him out of the tank? Will he end up killing the coral? He's not staying in the coral but returning to it from time to time.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Leave them alone for now. As long as the clown is much smaller than the leather coral I wouldnt be too concerned about it.

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
That was my first instinct but that 1.5" clown will be 4" and the leather not that much larger. Not that getting the clown out of the tank would be an easy task.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
It will take time for the clown to grow that large. Just let it go for now.

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks. I guess that as long as the coral is extending so it can feed it should be OK. I appreciate the feedback.

fishguy69

Dolphin
M.A.S.C Club Member
Absolutely! Anything else just post it...

Vince
GWA

Mine hosted the same leather for about a year. Never had any issue with the coral. It's a pretty hardy coral and will be fine.

gajake

Cleaner Shrimp
M.A.S.C Club Member
Thanks to all that responded. I decided to just wait and see what happens. In fact I moved a few things in the tank around and it's a few inches lower than it was - he hasn't even looked since then (at least not yet :).